2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Key locked inside 96 Blazer with motor on

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Starting Member
Chic_Bowdrie is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Key locked inside 96 Blazer with motor on

I was running the engine and cleaning my door. I must have locked it. I got interrupted and shut the door. No spare key. The hood was up so I disconnected the battery, but the engine is still running. Anybody know the best way to kill the engine?

Then after that I'll need suggestions on how to open the door.

Last edited by Chic_Bowdrie; 03-10-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added exclamation icon
Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could pull the electrical connector to the coil. Or disconnect the MAF sensor electrical connector. Or... Any number of other things. You will have to leave the battery disconnected until you can get inside the truck again to turn the key off.

Of course, now that you have done this, you'll get a spare key made if for nothing other than to unlock the doors in the event that this scenario happens again.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

As far as opening the door, best bet is a tow truck with a lockout kit. Or, if you have a ride, you may be able to purchase one somewhere. I don't think autozone would sell them, but who knows...

You could try using a coat hanger and screwdriver (screwdriver to pry the top of the door open, hanger to hit the unlock button) but that's pretty iffy.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Starting Member

Thank you so much. That was great response time. Also the coil was the easiest thing for me to find since I don't know where the MAF sensor is yet.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

Plug the tailpipe worked when I was young and did stuff like this occasionally. Burnt my hand a few times but it worked.

When/if you get it stopped, the rear latch may unlock on its own when you reattach the battery cable.

Or maybe that's just mine.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:06 PM

MAF is the only wire you'll see going to your air intake for future reference.

Red circle in this picture.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
As far as opening the door, best bet is a tow truck with a lockout kit. Or, if you have a ride, you may be able to purchase one somewhere. I don't think autozone would sell them, but who knows...

You could try using a coat hanger and screwdriver (screwdriver to pry the top of the door open, hanger to hit the unlock button) but that's pretty iffy.
Thanks, Sean. I do have another car and since I'm prone, I may need it again sometime. I just spent the better part of a day repairing the door post, so I'll try the lockout kit route first.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:37 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

It takes me literally 15 seconds to get in my blazer with a coat hanger. But I do have a spare key, so I don't need to do that very often.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 PM

I'm sure it didn't take you that little time the first time you did it though.

And if so... stay the heck away from my Blazer!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:43 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

No, the first time I was trying to un-latch it. Now I just push the door unlock button. Much easier.

Quick Reply: Key locked inside 96 Blazer with motor on