2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

key removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:01 PM
crater22 is on a distinguished road
Default key removal

not really sure where to post this, but would appreciate it if some one would move it to the right place.

Have a 2003,2 door LS, 6 cyl, 2 wheel drive. I have been going crazy with a problem of removing the igniition key> It only happens once and a while but lately it's been getting worse. The key will turn only enough to shut off the engine, but will not go any farther. I cannot get the key out. Many a time I have had to disconnect the battery cable so the battery does not go bad. When I do that I need to hold the RPM"S at about 1500 for several minutes to keep the engine running.

Needless to say this is a big pain. I can go down the street and there are no problems, come back home and it gets stuck. I have had the ignition switch replaced when I first got the car, and of course it worked for about a week and then I moved away.

Any ideas? I cannot go to the store, doctors, etc without worrying about if the key will come out or not. and it really is a pain when it's raining and now the temp's will be dropping.

I am planning on taking it to the shop nearby, but being new to this area I do not know anybody and get not get any recommendations on who to take it to.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by crater22
not really sure where to post this, but would appreciate it if some one would move it to the right place.

Have a 2003,2 door LS, 6 cyl, 2 wheel drive. I have been going crazy with a problem of removing the igniition key> It only happens once and a while but lately it's been getting worse. The key will turn only enough to shut off the engine, but will not go any farther. I cannot get the key out. Many a time I have had to disconnect the battery cable so the battery does not go bad. When I do that I need to hold the RPM"S at about 1500 for several minutes to keep the engine running.

Needless to say this is a big pain. I can go down the street and there are no problems, come back home and it gets stuck. I have had the ignition switch replaced when I first got the car, and of course it worked for about a week and then I moved away.

Any ideas? I cannot go to the store, doctors, etc without worrying about if the key will come out or not. and it really is a pain when it's raining and now the temp's will be dropping.

I am planning on taking it to the shop nearby, but being new to this area I do not know anybody and get not get any recommendations on who to take it to.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
The problem is a loose sensor wire by your shifter cable. Had this same problem in a 04 Jeep. It thinks it's not in park! That's why you can't get your key out. Next time it happens try messing with your shifter the same time your trying to take the key out. But you will still have to fix that sensor wire or it's going to get worse.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:49 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Yup, USUALLY that's the issue - the park safety switch. It's a micro switch that (as Spree said) doesn't allow the vehicle to release the key because it's being told the vehicle is not in Park.
Also under the steering column, a inch or so towards the front, on the right side you should see a 1/4" hole. You can stick a small bolt, pen or what ever in there & you should be able to turn the key to the Off position.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 PM
toolio is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine is a 97 Blazer. Yes, find the hole underneath the ignition switch and stick a small screwdriver in there and it will release the key.

My mechanic told me to dig into the console and spray carb cleaner on the shifter mechanism. I did this tonight an it appears to have cleared up my key release problems.

Depress the thumb-lock on the shifter and look for the parts that are moved by the thumb button down at the base of the shifter. Otherwise I saw other electrical switches associated with putting the shifter in park. But after I shot it with Gum Out, the thumb button on the shifter was activating a relay I could hear up in the dash. When I can hear this relay I never have a problem getting the key out of the switch.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:39 PM
ChevyFamily is on a distinguished road

Toolio, has your problem returned since you sprayed the switch? I am having the same issue on my 97 blazer. Did you have to remove the console completely or were you able to get to the parts just by lifting up the shifter cover?

I am also losing power to the car. Anyone know if this could be related to the ignition switch?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Fozzy is on a distinguished road

I would love to do this, but am a bit confused on the switch the guy uses and why he just didnt connect the yellow and the pink wire without a switch? This looks like the problem I have been having forever.. Would love to just by pass the circuit and connect the wires or run them through a switch buy could some of you electrical savvy dudes clue me into what the switch does?

Last edited by Fozzy; 08-11-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I've had this same problem on my '98 Jimmy. My solution was to splice wires to both the pink and yellow wires on the console shifter switch and run them to a switch I installed on the side of the console. That way whenever the key doesn't want to release all I have to do is flip the switch to release it.

For more info you can search the Forum and find the thread I made about it.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:14 AM

Well that was my question for that guy.. he mounted the switch in the console and there is no way to get to a switch to get to any switch that is inside the console. I asked the question on the Youtube page, but never have received anything.. It thought about just removing the damned plunger from the ignition and let it think its doing something when its not.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

What I did was cut a small hole in the driver's side of the console and install a simple toggle switch. I ran a wire from one terminal of the switch to the pink wire and one wire from the other terminal of the switch to the yellow wire. That way when the switch on the shift column fails to make proper contact and release the key I can use my auxiliary switch to complete the circuit and remove the key. It was a pretty simple and inexpensive repair.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 PM

Well, this is the LAST thing that I need to to to this thing to make the single most irritating issue with the Blazer go away.. I have heard that some shops simply put a screw through the "plunger" on the side of the ignition switch.. either way.. I gotta get this done. I have a brand new ignition tumbler and key ready to go ($75 bucks from the dealer) I just really dread taking the column apart AGAIN!

Quick Reply: key removal