2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

L460e issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 12:49 AM
2g95blazer is on a distinguished road
Default L460e issues

I have a 95 s10 blzr 4x4, 4.3 spidr injction, L460e trnsmisn.
I had a problem with my previous transmission replaced it with a 94, (same transmission). Worked fine at first but now I'm having the same issues i was having before. Could it be in limp home mode and do i maybe have to reset something. Or are l460e transmissions thatbig of a piece of sh!?...

Old 12-25-2017, 04:16 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Helps to know the issues

Old 12-25-2017, 08:26 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

The 4L60E is not known to be crap - on the contrary it has been employed by GM in millions of cars and light trucks.

As newguy said - what are the issues?

Old 12-25-2017, 12:41 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Did you replace it with a used one or newly rebuilt one?

What are the symptoms? E.g. no 3rd or 4th gear?

Old 12-25-2017, 01:39 PM
Default L460e issues

Out was working fine. But nowi have no 3,4/od. No downshift/upshift. I replaced with a used one that worked fine in the '94.the only change i had to make because the '94had shift linkage while my '95had shift cable. So now i have reverse, 1and 2. Seems to work best in od as it shifts 1and 2, no 3or 4.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:56 PM
BF Veteran

Hmmm, since it was a used replacement. You might have inherited a transmission on its last legs.

Perhaps my experience with my transmission going out will be useful:

In Feb/March of last year I noticed the engine not staying in gear when it up-shifted into 3 or 4. It was as it if was shifting itself into neutral. If I was genle with it, i.e. gradual accelerations, I could get it to go into 4 but under any load it would slip.

I took it to a transmission shop and it was diagnosed with the 3/4 clutch packs being worn out.

I considered installing a new rebuilt one but although I might have been able to do it myself, it was just beyond what I was willing to do on my own so I had the shop rebuild it for me.

The origin of my failed transmission? Most likely the hauling around of my 2,200 lbs of sailboat and trailer during the summers for the previous 7-8 years. For most summers, in addition to towing around my local area, I make one long trip from northern ID to Seattle over the Cascade Mountains and up some pretty good other grades. I never had a transmission cooler on it nor a way to monitor the transmission fluid temperature.

The reason for sharing the back story is to illustrate that the failure occurred over 6 months from the last time I did any towing with the truck.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:42 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Sounds like the 3,4 clutch pack is shot. sorry but time for a rebuild

Old 12-28-2017, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by newguy
Sounds like the 3,4 clutch pack is shot. sorry but time for a rebuild
Could it be anything else?

Old 12-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Starting Member
Snap-Off is on a distinguished road

I have a suspicion that when the transmission swap was done , the old fluid was drained and new fluid was added, which probably triggered this issue.

Sorry Man.. I know it sucks..

Old 12-28-2017, 11:18 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by 2g95blazer
Could it be anything else?
Originally Posted by jone531@bellsouth.net
I have a suspicion that when the transmission swap was done , the old fluid was drained and new fluid was added, which probably triggered this issue.

Sorry Man.. I know it sucks..

From what you described, it is very likely the 3/4 clutch pack.

Replacing at least some of the transmission fluid with new was pretty much inevitable as transmissions are heavy enough as they are and it is nice to reduce their weight by at least partially draining them, e.g. draining the torque converter. Perhaps also the filter was replaced which would have drained off some of the fluid from the pan.

There is also that there is an unknown history with the replacement transmission which means it could have been a gamble to install it in yours.

For me personally, I find it odd to consider not replacing the transmission fluid. I had mine replaced at about 90k/100k not long after I got mine and it lasted another 5-6 years/30k miles before my ill treatment* of it caused me to lose my 3/4 clutch pack.

However I guess on a high-mileage transmission, I could see how doing a fluid exchange could bring on the inevitable failure earlier so that you might as well wait until it fails before putting money into it.

* Not knowing if the transmission fluid temperature was excessive, towing 2,200 lbs in 4(overdrive)..

Quick Reply: L460e issues