2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Leak from hell...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 07:47 AM
Starting Member
pjdupont1 is on a distinguished road

Thank you to all who have given me the info to fix my blazer. The knowledge of blazers on this website is immeasurable. honestly through what's been happening with the car and the leaks that I've seen I believe it is my LIM gaskets. BECAUSE I DO SEE A SLIGHT WET AREA IN THE FRONT IN THE LIFTER AREA AND ALSO WHEN THE REAR LEAKED THE ANTIFREEZE CAME DOWN BETWEEN THE OIL PAN AND THE TRANS PAN THAT'S PROBABLY ABOUT WHERE THE REAR OF THE LIM GASKETS WOULD BE.
so I suppose I'm going to put it in the shop. I know it's probably going to cost an arm and a leg but it needs to be done because I'd hate for them to fail catastrophically as Christine said. The vehicle I had before this Blazer blew a head gasket. And the vehicle gave me no indication whatsoever that it was about to go. I don't want this to happen with my blazer. Before I put a lot of money in time in this Blazer and I enjoy driving it. You guys are dedicated without a doubt and like I said before I appreciate all the information that you've given me I don't know if I could tackle the limb gaskets by myself I may be able to. What do you think? And how long do you think it would take and would it take any longer to put the upgraded spider injection in there?

Old 01-28-2021, 07:49 AM
Starting Member
Default Daily driver

And one other question I suppose I should stop driving it ASAP. This is my daily driver and I go across state lines everyday for work. Maybe I need to get me a rental for a week or so

Old 01-28-2021, 08:43 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Replacing the LIM gaskets is not really difficult; not something I would want to do out in a driveway though. I did them on mine a couple of years ago, took me three days as I was not in a hurry and I had another vehicle to drive.

Getting all the parts off in order to get the intake manifold off is the most difficult; need to have a way to tag all the various bolts/screws/nuts. Once the manifold is off, you will want to clean it, get all the carbon out of the runners...which takes time. As mentioned above there are write-ups on how to do it, along with a few tricks...such as that hidden power steering pump bracket bolt. Do some reading and then you can determine if you want to tackle this on your own.

I would no longer drive it as coolant could be getting into the oil, which of course is a bad thing.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:15 AM
Starting Member

Well I've got to drive it one more time to at least get it to where my shop is that I'm going to work on it if I decide to do it myself I know it's going to be costly if I put it in the shop as far as labor goes but I'd Rather somebody that knows exactly what to do and what they're doing to do what I guess then have me mess it up but I appreciate all your help like I said I do believe it is the gaskets I'll keep you all up-to-date on what's going on thanks a lot

Old 01-28-2021, 09:16 AM
Starting Member

And I checked all the fluids fluids are topped off I put a little bit of water in the reservoir my oil checked it looks fine I'm just going to take it easy I got to go about 20 mi hopefully I'll make it

Old 01-28-2021, 10:38 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Replacing the LIM gaskets is not really difficult; not something I would want to do out in a driveway though. I did them on mine a couple of years ago, took me three days as I was not in a hurry and I had another vehicle to drive.

Getting all the parts off in order to get the intake manifold off is the most difficult; need to have a way to tag all the various bolts/screws/nuts. Once the manifold is off, you will want to clean it, get all the carbon out of the runners...which takes time. As mentioned above there are write-ups on how to do it, along with a few tricks...such as that hidden power steering pump bracket bolt. Do some reading and then you can determine if you want to tackle this on your own.

I would no longer drive it as coolant could be getting into the oil, which of course is a bad thing.

It is a job that requires one to be methodical and a location that is enclosed. The fuel injection upgrade can be done at a later date if you like.

One last drive could be fine.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:17 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

LIM replacement writeups attached.

The recommended gasket kit is the Felpro p/n MS 98002 T.
https://drivcat.com/overlays/part-de...20Gasket%20Set

I also replaced the intake manifold bolts while I was at it. Felpro p/n ES 72224.
https://drivcat.com/overlays/part-de...d%20Bolt%20Set

Two more bits of advice to consider.
1) Use new RTV sealant instead of what is supplied with the gasket set. I remember a discussion where people were not so sure of the quality of what came in the kit or if it was too old.
2) Cut off the heads of a couple bolts that fit in the same holes as the intake manifold bolts an install them loosely to act as guides for lowering the intake in place. This trick was shared only after I did my gasket replacement. Argh! LOL

Good Luck!

Old 01-28-2021, 11:29 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

To add to Christina's excellent guidance: You don't want to do this twice and besides not following her advice about the best gaskets and alignment, the other area that can produce headaches if not done correctly is working clean, the RTV application, timing and the bolt tightening sequence. Everything else is pretty standard issue medium level mechanical work.

George

Old 01-28-2021, 01:13 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
To add to Christina's excellent guidance: You don't want to do this twice and besides not following her advice about the best gaskets and alignment, the other area that can produce headaches if not done correctly is working clean, the RTV application, timing and the bolt tightening sequence. Everything else is pretty standard issue medium level mechanical work.

George

Old 01-28-2021, 06:40 PM
Starting Member
Default Still no diagnosis....

Well I still have not gotten to the bottom of this phantom coolant leak... Took to a mechanic this am. He put a pressure gauge on the radiator to help find this leak... The radiator held the pressure and never failed a mm. Stayed around 15psi the whole time. He got under it and looked around checked the two freeze plugs that he could see from underneath said that they were in pristine condition he said he thinks that it's either the gaskets on the lower intake manifold or possibly a freeze plug but until it leaks again he can't diagnose it so he just told me to keep my eye on it he said apparently that it has stopped itself up somehow and quit leaking. He said sometimes you can just put some blue devil in there and it'll go forever. But I'm going to keep an eye on it for a little while we can't figure it out I cleaned it up ran it in my driveway ran it around town and I cannot duplicate the leak from the other day so ....... Thanks for all your help George Lenny and Christine thank you

Quick Reply: Leak from hell...