2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

leaking fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:13 AM
donabar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default leaking fuel tank

Have a 98 s10 4 cyl 2.2. It has 180,000 miles on it, the fuel tank is leaking and my mechanic wants to put a whole new fuel system in ( tank,pump,ect the whole 9 yards) he is quoting me 900$$. I dont want to put that kinda money into it at this age. Would it be smart just to replace the tank? replace the tank and pump ? if I find the parts myself andtake itto a mechanic, how many hours of labor should I expect? should I buy a salvaged tank?? like I said, I dont wanna put a whole new system, but would like to eake out another year on this vehicle.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:33 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: leaking fuel tank

what state do u live in???? Out of NY state???

Old 02-23-2008, 09:54 AM

live in vermont..

Old 02-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on where it is leaking and when. Does it leak right after filling up? All of the time? More info is more

The tank should be plastic. If it is cracked or otherwise compromised, you need to replace it. There are a few components that attach to the tank that may be the cause (filler neck & vent tube, fuel pump assembly seal, evap connection, etc).

You really need to determine where it is coming from and under what conditions.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:25 AM

its a slow leak andleaks all the time, and like I said the mechanic said i needed a new tank. so under those circumstances how much can I get a new tank for and how much would the labor cost be?? (ballpark)

Old 02-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it leaks all of the time regardless of fuel level, I highly doubt you need a new tank. Did the mechanic drop the tank to determine that it required replacement?

Old 02-23-2008, 11:38 AM

no, I think he just put it on the lift. he did not take the tank off at all.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Well then I expect he is speculating about the repairs. It is possible that it is a feed or return fuel line or a bad o-ring... Could be a ton of stuff, but if he just wants to go replacing the tank, pump, and whatever else he suggested, he is looking to soak you. How trustworthy is this guy?

Old 02-23-2008, 02:03 PM

nottoo sure.. I am getting a second oppinion. thanks for all your help

Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 PM

I took it to another mechanic and the response was the same, it is definitly leaking from the tank, however they wanted to put in a whole new fuel system as well (1500$ this time) is the tank really plastic? they said it was steel and is rusted. why wont anyone just put a new tank on? Im not planning on driving it forever.

Quick Reply: leaking fuel tank