2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

LED Conversion Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011 | 10:18 PM
|
Beginning Member
Pinrod33 is on a distinguished road
Default LED Conversion Issue

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I really did look and couldn't find anything the same. So here goes.....

I installed some 194 size yellow LED bulbs (on my 2003 Blazer 2-Dr LS), and at first, they wouldn't turn on but figured it was the Heavy Duty Flasher issue that I see everyone talking about. So I got that today, installed it, and the result was that the lights would only turn on after disabling the DRL's and putting the turn signals/hazards on with the headlights off. Soon as you turn the switch to even the parking lights, the side markers would shut off and they do not turn on regardless of function.

I read somewhere that someone forced the LED bulb in backwards, so I tried switching them around and now the side markers come on with the headlights. Problem solved, right?? Not exactly, now it's the reverse problem. When the DRL's are deactivated and the headlight switch is off, the side markers will not turn on. You have to turn the headlight switch to at least the parking lights in order for the side markers to start working.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I know it's only the side markers, but I'm waiting for my shipment of clear turn signal housings and I have the dual color changing LED's ready to go, but am now worried this will cause even more issues. Any ideas would be great, thanks in advance

edit: I forgot to mention that I got a Blazer International FL29
heavy duty flasher from Autozone. The one at Superbrightleds
specifies that they are "LED flashers" and have no minimum load.
Sales gimmick, or are those a better option?

Last edited by Pinrod33; 05-03-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 05-09-2011 | 09:00 PM
|
Beginning Member
Pinrod33 is on a distinguished road

well, don't know if anyone is viewing this thread, but just to give an update, I ended up getting the LED flasher from superbrightleds.com and it fixed my hyper blink situation, but nothing else.

Since my last post, I installed some white/amber led switchbacks for my front turn signals, and I'm also having an issue with those. The normal white running light is working perfectly when the headlights or parking lights are on. When the headlights are off the amber turn signal also works, but.......

when the headlights are on, the white LED's remain solidly lit during the turn function and while the amber led's are blinking. It wouldn't be an issue for me, except that the white led greatly outshines the amber LED and especially during the day, is almost invisible. Any ideas, guys??