2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

lifter noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:58 AM
chvyblazer00 is on a distinguished road
Default lifter noise?

sometimes when i start up my truck when its been sitting over night and its colder out ( cause its winter up here now) it makes some chattering noise for about a min or 2 then slow goes away. i had changed the oil used synthetic and added a duralube to it , worked for awhile but its doing it again every so often, idk if theres sluge up there making the lifter sticky or my oil pump is starting to go. but idt its the pump bc the gauge always reads it has good pressure so idk.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:17 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

Can you tell if its at the top of the moor or at the botom???. get a mechanics stehtoscope sometime if you cant....... there cheap and tell me which side. if its top i may have a simple solution that worked for me.....

Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Beginning Member
tntfaguy is on a distinguished road

I don't think this is too common in the 4.3's, but in a lot of the newer motors, the chevy's have notorious piston slap, even my new 08 does it. I hate it and think it should be fixed, but that's how this forged pistons are. As they warm up it goes away. I don't think the 4.3 has forged pistons though, so it may be a lifter or something in the valve train.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:38 AM

it seems to be coming from the passinger side front on top.
it hasnt done it for a few days now and my oil pressure has gotten way better since adding that duralube + syn oil so i have no idea lol

Old 12-13-2010, 07:42 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i have had the same problem for years now, every winter it comes with the cold. start the engine up give it a min or two and it goes away. only time i have the issue. i have tried several things and nothing seems to work. sea foam, lucas, marvins. all short term fix. oil pressure is always great though, so i am thinking lifter. its coming from top passenger on mine as well.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 AM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

theres a simple adjustment you can do ......if you pull the valve cover.. ..i had to do it on silverado and it shutit up... the rocker arms ...even at tightened to the right torque there may be some play.. now if thers side to side play you can just put a socket on it and tighten it until you notice no play. but make sure the pushrod can still turn in its socket.with your fingertips... f the pushrod can still turn your golden... ....

i will even let you know that tightening these and you have it as tight as possible where the pushrod still turns and you still have play? well i had 2 rock arms thatwere like that in my silvy. i didnt replace but the tap went away so i considered it good

Old 12-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Beginning Member

What weight of oil are you running. A good 5-30 syn or durablend would be good in cold temps. A lot of that additive stuff doesn't do anything, better off just running the oil as is. You also might consider an engine heater or oil pan heater if you're in really cold climates.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Beginning Member
blazer7630 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive had the same problem for several years, the best/cheapest fix is to run straight Castrol 30 weight oil. This will take care of the chatter. You can run regular oil in the warm months, but 30 weight during the winter will definitely get rid of the chatter. Some reason the oil is not getting to the lifters or staying with them , not sure.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:19 PM

im using a good syn 5-30
it hasnt happened for about a week now
but yet again it has been warmer till today it was 17F out! lol
any ways idk i think if it happens a couple more times im just gonna pull the cover off and check them since its got 140,000 miles on it and i think my intake is starting to leak a little so might as well do all of it at once.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by blazer7630
Ive had the same problem for several years, the best/cheapest fix is to run straight Castrol 30 weight oil. This will take care of the chatter. You can run regular oil in the warm months, but 30 weight during the winter will definitely get rid of the chatter. Some reason the oil is not getting to the lifters or staying with them , not sure.
Honestly, that's the last thing you want to do in a cold climate during the winter. You want a thin base weight that will flow quickly up to the valve train. 30w is like molasses in the winter and is hard to get flowing until it warms up. 5-30 turns to 30w when it's warm, but starts out at 5w.

Quick Reply: lifter noise?