2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

long term fuel trims high at idle???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely. If there is slack in the push rod, that is most definitely taking away from the available lift.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Banned
groundhogman is on a distinguished road

yep thought so and thats what im dredding, i should have replaced the lifters on both sides instead of 1, what do you think caused those lifters to tap like that on both sides on a new reman motor?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Any number of things. Who knows. The motor may not have been a complete reman... Or maybe wasn't a reman at all...

Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

cool well thanks for all the replies!!!!!!when i replace the lifters on the other side and pushrods, i will let you know what i find as far as VACCUM, PERFORMANCE, FUEL ECONOMY AND LONG TERM FUEL TRIMS, AGAIN THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Keep us posted!

Old 06-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Banned

ok i called chevrolet about the balance shaft tensioner kit and they have a list of other parts adding up to about $400.00 do i need a new timing cover or can i just get the tensioner by itself and buy all my gaskets for everything else at advanced auto or something? cause while im already in the engine when i replace the lifters and pushrods i kinda want to take care of this tensioner thing then instead of later if and when it should arise.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Administrator

You should be able to just put the tensioner in and get a new gasket for the cover. I do not recall the timing cover being different.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Banned

cool thanks!! i will let you know what happens when im all finished.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

BTW what should the vaccum be at idle for this truck??????

Old 06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

One other thing that you should check is replacing both of your oxygen sensors. Faulty O2 sensor(s) could be sending incorrect info to your PCM about your exhaust composition and reporting a false lean signal which could account for your fuel trims being so far off.

Just something simple to check before you start tearing the engine apart completely.

Quick Reply: long term fuel trims high at idle???