2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Looking for improved Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 05:00 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for improved Distributor

Daughters car is starting with the Rotor tapping the Cap. If I'm going to replace it I would like to say goodbye to the Plastic distributor. I thought there was an aftermarket Aluminum one.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Beginning Member
babydeuce is on a distinguished road

I like these GM Chevy Vortec V6 V 6 4 3L 4 3 Distributor 6671 BK | eBay

While his electronics may not be "top shelf", it comes with a cap and rotor that have real brass terminals, and you cannot beat the price. I am currently running 2 of these in my blazers, and have had no issues.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:09 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Take a look at Summit Racing for an aluminum distributor.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:01 AM
burned is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by babydeuce
I like these GM Chevy Vortec V6 V 6 4 3L 4 3 Distributor 6671 BK | eBay

While his electronics may not be "top shelf", it comes with a cap and rotor that have real brass terminals, and you cannot beat the price. I am currently running 2 of these in my blazers, and have had no issues.
You can also buy them direct from their site. 5 year warranty!
Skip White Performance

Old 02-13-2015, 10:47 AM

These Skip White Dist, Will they take the Stock Rotor and Cap? I guess the Cap now has Machine screws to replace the Plastic Cutting ones for the Stock Plastic Dist.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

AC Delco cap & rotor will fit the Skip White distributor. The cap that comes with it has brass terminals. They're pretty, but the AC Delco terminals are aluminum, which is a much better conductor of electricity. Make sure you put a dab of silicone dielectric grease on each terminal, inside and out, of the cap before installing it.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:01 PM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

I thought ac delco was the way to go,

Old 02-14-2015, 11:13 AM

I will buy Direct. It's actually a few pennies cheaper.
I see it's sold with a new Hold Down. Can this distributor be rotated like in the old days or is it like the OEM one where the hold down fits into the square shaped housing? Just wondering if there's a whole 'Reflashing process or if I can drop this in with the Rotor in the correct position and then tweak by rotating the Dist.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:39 AM
Beginning Member
babydeuce is on a distinguished road

That distributor is exactly like the factory, no adjustment is available. You may or may not get a P1345. If you do, you will need to do a crank relearn procedure. You will need to take a trip to a repair shop that has a Tech 2, or someone that has programing software.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If P1345 sets, it means the distributor is not timed correctly with the camshaft. The distributor hold down will allow enough movement for a slight adjustment to camshaft retard. If there isn't enough movement, the hold down needs to be modified or replaced with an old style SBC hold down which will make the distributor fully adjustable. Camshaft retard must be checked, and adjusted if necessary, if/when the distributor is moved, removed, or replaced, (it's part of the job). Spec is zero degrees plus or minus 2 degrees, and the chances of installing it within specs are slim Turning the distributor adjusts camshaft retard, ignition timing is not affected. The crankshaft position sensor relearn only needs to be done if the crankshaft position sensor or timing cover are moved, or the PCM is replaced. The relearn has nothing to do with the camshaft position sensor in the distributor. A high end scanner is required to view camshaft retard data, and to initiate the crankshaft position sensor relearn.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-14-2015 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for improved Distributor