2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Lost

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 05:15 AM
Starting Member
Terry Lyons is on a distinguished road
Default Lost

2001 S10 Blazer with 236 transfer case I put a 233 case i made it manual shift and now I need help figuring out the wiring for speed senser please help

Old 06-16-2020, 03:05 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

What needs to be figured out? Do both cases have 2 speed sensors? How are they different?

George

Old 06-16-2020, 05:12 PM
Starting Member
Terry Lyons is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
What needs to be figured out? Do both cases have 2 speed sensors? How are they different?

George
The old one had three new one has one

Old 06-16-2020, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

The 236 has "extra" speed sensors because it senses differences in speed between the front and rear driveshafts to engage the auto 4WD. I believe the connectors are all the same, right? I would try plugging in the one that was on the old tailshaft to see if it works. I can't imagine you'll hurt anything if you connect the wrong one. The manual case may cause it to set some kind of transfer case code, but I'm not sure.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:02 PM
BF Veteran

I have never done this conversion so I don't know the entire process. I take it that your going from an electronic shift 236 to a manual shift 233 transfer case? Is the 233 shift push button/electric or are you doing a conversion to linkage?

I don't know what you have to do to the front (yel/ppl) and rear propshaft (dk gr/lt bl) wiring at the PCM if anything since those sensors appear to go away but the speed sensor wiring to the PCM is ppl/wht = VSS hi and lt gr/blk = VSS low. I believe that your remaining sensor goes to those wires.

Here is a related article that might help:

https://www.journeysoffroad.com/swap...nsfercase.html

If your still stuck, you can PM swatlkk, he has published some threads and probably knows more than me on this subject. Don't say I sent you there just in case it puts him on the spot. LOL.

George

Old 06-16-2020, 09:18 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

George=thrown under bus

Old 06-16-2020, 09:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

you can PM swatlkk ... Don't say I sent you there just in case it puts him on the spot. LOL.

George
I see all....

Old 06-16-2020, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

LOL

perfect timing

sorry back to business

Old 06-16-2020, 09:54 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I see all....
At 41K posts, you have seen most of it.

George

Old 06-17-2020, 11:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try to dig up one of the schematics later tonight after I get the rest of my work done. I just sold my MPCNC so I'm writing up my experience in assembly, operation, etc. for the new owner which has taken up the last few nights. Mix that in with some fire training and some camper upgrades/repairs and it doesn't leave a lot of extra time.

If I posted the 236 speed sensor wiring schematics in the past, I'm sure you could search for that and see verify the VSS wire colors per what George posted as that should be the only one you would be concerned with for speedometer and ABS operation. I sure hope that the rear/front prop shaft speed sensors aren't mixed into the ABS operation somehow on the NV236 equipped trucks.

The only other thing that would need to be verified if simply plugging the sensor into the correct wiring connector doesn't work is that the reluctor ring inside the two cases has the same tooth count and that the sensor has the same response. I'm not sure what technical info is available for these sensors so your next best approach might be to scope the response while spinning the shaft 1 full revolution on each case & count the peaks as well as how high the response is from peak to valley. If they are the same, good. If not... I can't see them being different though.
At 41K posts, you have seen most of it.

George
I've been here a long time!