2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Low Coolant But not overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 PM
dist6blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Low Coolant But not overheating

ok so i just read the post about there are no dumb questions ..i think i have one.. i was under the hood doing a routine check up first the tranny, was fine, moved to the coolant and holy cow i had nearly nothing in there (the car had been running for about 15 minutes) so i put 1 quart of dexcool and a filled the rest up with water. i called my father who is a mechanic and he suggested i check the engine oil and look to see if it was "milky or cloudy" no bubbles or anything.. im yet to check the radiator im going to do it in about half an hour from now.. im going to assume if the coolant in the radiator isnt up to the brim i will be searching for leaks.. ive had the truck for about six months now and bought it from an AVID mechanic/good friend i mean this guy was crazy about his car (the good kind of crazy)

ive read horror stories about coolant leaking into the engine and causeing MAJOR problems thats what happened with my first blazer (but that wasnt the death of that truck ha)

if anyone has any suggestions or had a similar problem a response would be gretly appreciated

[IMG]local://upfiles/8115/0C533C030E764B8E957A088D0BA08CF3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-14-2008, 02:49 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Low Coolant But not overheating

ORIGINAL: dist6blazer

ok so i just read the post about there are no dumb questions ..
Anybody who says that never worked with the public!
As to your situation, yeah you need to find where the coolant went.
1.See what the oil on the dipstick looks like.
2.When the engine is cold, recheck the coolant level.
Get back with us and tell what you from these two checks.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:29 PM

ok so i went out and checked the coolant in radiator and it was pretty much empty..(i was kinda hoping it would be full) i checked the oil and everything still looks ok in the engine.. i looked quickly at the hoses for any obvious leaks and i didnt see anything they all were bone dry.. this has got me thinking its probably internal! any suggestions

Old 01-14-2008, 05:24 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you lost that much coolant and the oil level is still right, then it's not going into the crankcase. I say refill the radiator with water, start the truck, get it to operating temperature, andlook for an external leak or white smoke from the exhaust.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:59 PM

thanks for the suggestion/support hopefully well be out there tommrow trying to pinpoint the problem

that truck you go there looks good wherd you get those corvette tips?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:41 AM
BF Guru

Thank you. The tips came from a 'Vette that got a custom exhaust at the shop I use, so I had them put the old tips on my truck. Several companies make tips similar to them.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:15 AM

went back out side draine a little bit of oil and sure enough therees a little bit of coolant in there
should i go for the long haul or dump the truck?

Old 01-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway that you can snap a picture of what the oil looks like?

Mostlikely is a lower intake manifold gasket failure (you'd know as soon as you got it off). The lower intake manifold gasket can leak into three different places, external, internal - oil, internal - air to cylinder. It can leak at one or any combination of the 3.