2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Low mpg

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 05:09 PM
Jmack is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LesMyer
There are three O2 sensors. One for each side ahead of the single catalytic converter, and one after the single catalytic converter.

If your fuel trims are normal, and your front O2 sensor voltages are cycling across 0.45 volt - then your front O2 sensors are reading fine. Rear O2 sensor just checks catalytic converter function for the PCM.

These vehicles can really have some poor mileage in the Wintertime. I have seen the 11 mpg on mine around town before in the Winter with warming up and stuff and 4WD. Agree with the 14 mpg city during the Summer. Max of 18 mpg on the highway on a level road.

Sticking brake calipers are one thing to check though and they can really kill gas mileage. Another thing is how you drive - a lot of people don't realize that slow easy starts use much less gas than does fast acceleration. Keeping steady speed (not riding someone's butt) is another thing that helps mileage. Another thing is wind resistance - slow down - pushing a brick through the air at 60 mph is a lot easier than at 75.

My advice ...... be happy it runs good. Don't buy a Blazer if mpg is your expectation. They are not known for it.
I still love my Blazer whether it gets good mpg or not. I have not been using the 4wd. I only drive on rural roads, start slow, and go the speed limit 55 mph. Someone told me the gas here is a winter blend which lowers your mpg.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:05 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

10 mpg at 55 is not normal.

Get Car Diagnostic Pro for Android and a BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter fro Amazon. We can go from there.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
10 mpg at 55 is not normal.

Get Car Diagnostic Pro for Android and a BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter fro Amazon. We can go from there.
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about getting one of those, but my mechanic does not charge me to scan my vehicle. I still might get one at some point though.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:10 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jmack
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about getting one of those, but my mechanic does not charge me to scan my vehicle. I still might get one at some point though.
OK, good luck and best wishes!

Old 02-22-2023, 11:46 AM

I had my my mechanic replace both upstream o2 sensors. I will let you know if that helps.

Old 02-23-2023, 02:35 PM
Starting Member
barry2054 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2005 GMC Jimmy. Today (Feb. 23, 2023) up in Winnipeg, Canada it's -20 deg C. i just filled up with gas, here is my fuel consumption: 318 km, 52.18 litres.

198.875 miles
11.49 gal

On average i will get 17 to 19 miles/gal in the winter, and 20 or 21 miles/gal in the summer Odd time 23 mi/gal. Icy road conditions, bucking the wind or having auto 4wd will reduced this somewhat.

Old 02-24-2023, 02:34 PM
99Moneypit is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jmack
I still love my Blazer whether it gets good mpg or not. I have not been using the 4wd. I only drive on rural roads, start slow, and go the speed limit 55 mph. Someone told me the gas here is a winter blend which lowers your mpg.
Winter blend is usually better since there is less ethanol in it. Ethanol is harder to get to 'light up' in cold weather (I have one 'toy car' that's turbocharged and was setup for E85 that absolutely hated cold temps) so they run less of it in winter vs summer. Ironically, several years back they cut back the ethanol requirements in 'summer blend' and a lot of people noticed better mileage ( I think my personal hyper-mile best then was 22mpg highway after a full cap/rotor/wire/plugs/air filter/PCV tuneup) but I think it's business as usual again. Absolutely get the EXACT OBDII reader (not all created equal but that one is verified to work with all the systems on Blazers) recommended to get some hard data to work with. If you think there's a chance it's fuel quality, find your local Farmers Co-Op and see who sells 100% Ethanol FREE gasoline around you. Between that and/or a couple bottles of Heet, you can eliminate the 'winter blend' or possibly a specific gas station with questionable storage tanks if you have been going to the same one.

Old 02-26-2023, 11:08 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road

My 02 Xtreme (2wd) got 20.1 mpg this weekend on the interstate traveling 75-80 mph a good bit of the way. Gets 15 city.

Old 03-10-2023, 04:16 PM

The O2 sensors were not the problem. Next I will have the brake calipers checked.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member
martybgood is an unknown quantity at this point

I checked my mileage about 10 years ago and it was around 14mpg. That was all local, no highway.

Quick Reply: Low mpg