2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Lower Control Arm Bumper: 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:06 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default Lower Control Arm Bumper: 4WD

This past weekend I replaced the right side CV axle due to grease being thrown out of the CV boot....what a mess! Anyways I noticed that the rubber bumper that stops the lower control arm upward movement is completely trashed....rubber all dried-out, falling apart in pieces. Only replacement I have found so far is the Dorman part. I tried LMC Truck...they showed nothing. Any other sources?

Has anyone used the Dorman part; is it any good or is the rubber cheap, flimsy and not worth the trouble of using???

And a quick note: I bought a ball joint separator from Harbor Freight, the lever style, it worked really, really well in separating the upper ball joint and outer tie rod end so I could move the spindle in order to get the CV axle out and in easier. I put the tool in place, tighten the bolt to put some pressure on the joint and then used a method from Ed on "Wheeler Dealers"....hammer head against the spindle when the ball joint stud is, hit hammer head with another hammer....couple of easy taps and the ball joint separated!! No pounding, no tearing of ball joint boots using a pickle fork...nice and easy.

And lastly...the upper control arm bushings sure look terrible....rubber is all cracked. Replacing those does not look to be an easy task.....put that on the "later to do" list.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:04 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I have to do my bump stops at some point as well. I will probably just used the Dorman ones. I may call the chevy dealer just to see how much a factory ones cost.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

You could probably pick them up in a salvage yard pretty cheap. Anything would due as long as the size was about the same. Even aftermarket is available like Energy Suspension.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:40 PM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

Need to replace mine too....AutoZone has them $20 ea

Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

My lower control arm bump stop looked really bad and it fell off when I poked it with my finger. I looked under the control arm and could not tell what was holding it on. I'm new and don't think I'm thread jacking. What holds that on? Do replacements come with glue? The other side looked almost as bad but I kept my finger to myself.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:02 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Bagherra: are the ones at AutoZone on a HELP card?

Rusty Nuts: the bump stop has a bolt imbedded into the rubber which goes into a hole in the frame, held on with a nut.

For a diagram go to LMCTruck.com and put all the info into the boxes for an S10 Blazer and I think it was pages 145 or so for the front suspension on a 4wd. The bump stop is shown in the diagram, but not listed as an available part.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:21 PM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

Not sure what a HELP card is. But I've seen them on the AZ app and when I went to the store, guy said they could order them for me and I would have them the next day.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Beginning Member
blaZeRJO is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Blazer ZR2 hump stops

Does anyone happen to have a good part number for a polyurethane replacement for the rear bump stops on a Blazer ZR2?

Last edited by blaZeRJO; 01-10-2018 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-13-2018, 12:28 AM
Starting Member
Lefet is on a distinguished road

Great picture!!!

Old 01-13-2018, 08:04 AM
Beginning Member
blaZeRJO is on a distinguished road

������

I suppose I will go with the stock foams.

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Bumper: 4WD