2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

M.A.S. vs Mileage? Also loose steering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Beginning Member
The Beep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default M.A.S. vs Mileage? Also loose steering?

I have a new to me 2000 LS with 118k and just drove it to Mankato and back (160 miles). It was -3 to 10 degrees outside with 87 octane in the tank. The lions-share of driving was cruise-controlled 65 mph over rolling countryside. The mileage was 17.7 mpg.

I did a search and found threads mentioning that cleaning the mass air flow sensor made a huge difference in performance.

I'm quite certain mine has never been cleaned.

I was hoping to see low 20's for mileage and was wondering if cleaning the MAS might get me there.

Secondly,I have replaced the idler and pitman arms and this has improved the steering considerably but there's still just enough play to cause an uneasyness when driving down the highway.

One mechanic thought the tie rods were a bit loose. Another pointed to a knuckle of sorts halfway down the steering colume and said "that's just the way they are".

I had a 99 2wd that steered just fine. Your thoughts?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:09 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: M.A.S. vs Mileage? Also loose steering?

In addition to cleaning the MAF sensor, change your plugs, plug wires, air cleaner filter, fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor unless you know that these have already been done. I would also put a bottle of Techron Plus cleaner into the gas tank.
'That's just the way they are?' Does that mechanic think it (the rag joint) came that way from the factory? Use him for oil changes - if the price is right. Have a front-end man look at your steering components. He should be able to tell correctly what needs to be done.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 2000 Blazer that got 22-24 on the highway!!!! I just got back from a 300 mile trip in my 2001 Jimmy......16MPG is all I got, with ALL highway driving. Should've NEVER sold the 2000....me and my damned moonroof and leather needs.

Some front end noises are HARD to diagnose. I've got a popping sound, while turning right in a parking lot. Never seems to happen at road speed. And it's driving me crazy!!! We've changed 2 ball joints, idler arm, sway bar bushings, and a front axle. Nothing will make the damned noise go away.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Beginning Member

I've spent just under $4000 mostly on maintanence items. I was hoping the truck would be running like new by now. I may wait for a warmer day and try this MAS cleaning procedure myself.

Can the "Rag Joint" be replaced or is it part of the whole steering column.

Thanks.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Byte Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point

wish I could find the TSB on this.... but you might want to check your hood hinge pins.
I know I had the same issue... anytime I made a left... it sounded like my axles was coming out from under the truck. Changed the pins and mounting hardware.... done.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:02 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: The Beep

I've spent just under $4000 mostly on maintanence items. I was hoping the truck would be running like new by now...
That's a lot of work. If we knew what all it involved, we might be able to help more.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Beginning Member

Everything you could consider as maintanence, I've had done. It's a loooong list. The previous owner did absolutely nothing what-so -ever to maintain the truck. Plus I had new door hinges welded on. Yesterday I had all the drive line lube replaced (another $265) to protect a lot of expensive parts underneath the vehicle.

I bought it because the body, engine and interior looked good and the miles wern't too bad. I could have bought an 08 Jeep Comander for 14k (only 6k more than I have in this onenow). I'm kinda sorry I didn't.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Mammys Car is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't overlook the tires regarding your steering. I recently bought my wife a loaded 2000 LT with 53,000 mile and the original tires with very legal tread depth. It steered very loosely, especially wallowing over bumps and swells in the roadway at 50mph. I expected to be replacing the shocks and more. The PO had replaced the idler arm and ball joints. New tires (same brand/model) as the old ones made a huge difference. Steering is tighter and no more wallowing. Perhaps a tire belt failed??? I may do the shocks anyway but not as a critical item.
Regarding your mileage, this 2000 has a mileage readout and 65 versus 55 costs almost 2mpg with 55 just a tad over 20mpg. Hills really kill the mileage.
Good luck and please post if you find a solution to your steering.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks,
The tires, shocks, idler and pitman arm are new.
Any info on this "rag joint" thinggy?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 AM
DaleA is an unknown quantity at this point

I had major swaying whenever I hit a bump and thought it time for new shocks. First I replaced all swaybar bushings and that fixed the problem

Quick Reply: M.A.S. vs Mileage? Also loose steering?