2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Main Power Problem with Fusible Link

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Beginning Member
poertsch is on a distinguished road
Default Main Power Problem with Fusible Link

Hallo to everybody.

I have a Blazer 97 and the last 2 days i try to figure out my wire problem. First of all i had to replace the battery. Ok so far everything was fine. In my Blazer i got two battery's. So i use them together with a volt regulator. That both battery's will be charged when they needed. Good this will be now fine.

But my main Problem is. I replace first the Ground wire and change it to a bigger wire from minus to the motor block.
Also i replace the starter wire also to a bigger one. because the old once are to old and the isolation was not so fine at all. also the ground to the main Frame and to the front side was replaced.
But now i got no power at all. No lights inside no light inside the hood nothing. the ignition switch also no power. totally off.
So me and my mechanic was searching today more than 4 hours what it can be.

So i was using my maintenance book and there in the drawing i read something about fusible wire. I never here something in germany about such a wire. !!!
So what i was testing till now was:
I got power from battery to my starter.
I got power from battery to input of my volatge regulater to charge two battery's
I got Power on the small Red wire outgoing from battery installed from left across to right under the front fender near to the battery junction block.

I got no Power at the battery junction block on the right side.

So we have no fusible wire at all here Germany and where will be the searching point where i can find them. I was seen many red an black wires on the the junction block. All those wires have a 2" thicker isolation. I think that this will be such a fusible wire.
Is this correct?

So please help me out.
1. If i will search along this red wire from the battery normally this will be the input wire from the junction block! Correct?
2. If so i will test it in front and after the fusible part on his wire.
3. Can i change this wire or cut it an install between a melting fuse holder. That will be a normal way in Germany to protect a wire from short circuit.

I hope i was explain everything so that you can understand my German English. Because after 4 hours my mind was totally empty and i had no more ideas still i was reading about this fusible wire.

I want to say thank you for any kind of help.

Your friend from Germany

Old 04-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Starting Member
canuck blazer is on a distinguished road

I would say yes you can, if you change it us a wire that is a little more heavier should work

Old 04-11-2014, 11:31 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

A fusible link is a piece of aluminum wire that is designed to burn if too much current passes through it. Very much like a fuse, but it is wire.

Is there battery voltage at the terminal on the back of the alternator? Should be 3 red wires, all should have battery voltage at all times.

Also, all wires at the junction block should have battery voltage at all times.