2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Maintenace Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Beginning Member
okstud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maintenace Thread

This may sound weird but is their any some what simple or cheap things that should be done to a 1999 blazer to avoid any serious problems. Mine has 111,000 miles. Replaced fuel pump recently, and some other small fixes. Im just really wanting this blazer to last, lol.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

as far as improving gas mileage: change spark plugs, wires going from spark plugs to the distributor, distributor cap & rotor, fuel filter, pcv valve(really cheap to change these), i've dumped a bottle of fuel injector once and i believe it did clean the injectors, i went from 14mpg to 19mpg in the summer and yes mines 4wd.

as far as preventing engine failure: always check your engines oil and coolant levels, 4.3L vortecs were one of gms best engines,(yes this arguable with the 350), the engine was probably the only "bulletproof" part of the blazer, (my opinion, each to his own), every vehicle is going to have its weak points, but as long as you check your basic fluid levels you'll be alright

as far as drivetrain components: diff fluid is a biggy no one changes that out often but its a good idea. tranny fluid flush once every 3-4 years.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Beginning Member
okstud is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. I just put some fuel injector clean in and i replaced the dist. cap and rotor recently. Mine is 4wd and I drive mostly highway and some in town and get around 21. I was surprised. I will look into the tranny flush and diff fluid, thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

yea 21 for a 4wd is great. also if you were really picky you could look into sythetic oil, plus side you can always go a little further then the 3000 miles, downside more expensive, the main thing to keep in mind when your doing your maintence is if possible don't buy the "cheap" parts. your premium oil filters and spark plugs are going to give you better performance and life. for example have you ever seen at like napa they have 2 different rotors on their counter. one is the "cheap" aftermarket replacement. and the othe is there brand or any other "name brand". you look at them there is a major thickness difference. this how they save their money and offer it to you cheaper. if you've never seen it before. next time you go buy rotors ask for the cheapest one and the most expensive and compare. you'll see what i mean. cheaper usually is not always the best. this also a big safety problem when you go to resurface rotors because the cheaper ones can not usually be resurfaced due to the decreased diameter and etc. (i wont go in to detail) i dont work for any auto parts company either so im not being bias to napa. that was just purely an example. you'll find it on other brands as well. they were the only example i could think of

Old 01-30-2010, 10:40 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

i've got a 00 blazer and get 13.8 mpg on average. count your blessing

drop into the tech section of the forum. there are a few pages of DIY stuff that you can pick and choose what you like.

seafoam. tune up. egr/iac/tb cleaning. lost and LOTS of good info around here (just give search a whirl) from what shocks peope reccomend, to what plugs your engine prefers, to what oil is actually a performance mod* for more hps and torque (hint: it rhymes with "poyal rurple"). get friendly with search and a lot of info is at your finger tips.

*it's a joke; royal purple is just a good synth oil, not a performance upgrade...

Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 AM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Grease the front end. These things can eat ball joints and not keeping 'em greased has a lot to do with it in my opinion. If you have the transfer case with "auto" change the fluid (2 quarts) and use the factory Autotrack-II fluid. When you replaced the pump did you replace the filter too?

Old 01-31-2010, 02:50 AM
Beginning Member
ZR2nut is an unknown quantity at this point

With 111,000 miles I would NOT recommend a trans flush but just a fluid/filter change yearly.Many high mileage 4L60Es have been finished off by flushing them.