2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

major powersteering fluid loss

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:08 PM
964x4ND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default major powersteering fluid loss

Hello everyone. I have a 96 blazer, 4x4, 4 door, 4.3v6, and it does NOT have the auto 4x4 option. It seems like I am putting in powersteering fluid every single day. It doesn't look like either of the hoses are leaking. I haven't spent alot of time under the blazer yet, but where else should I look for leaks? The pump doesn't look like it is leaking either but I will look more when I go under it. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks again people. Oh, and I have tried the Lucas stop leak and it slowed the leak a little bit but it came right back after the lucas leaked out.
*EDIT*
Found the leak. When you look through the oil filter access cover, it's the hose that hangs the lowest with the plastic wire loom crap on it. It has the metal end on it and kind of curves up and around the front of the steering gear box. Can someone tell me if this is the pressure or return line? I cant tell where the other end really goes up by the pump. Thank you for ANY help.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Default RE: major powersteering fluid loss

Forgot to ask, does anyone have a diagram of the hose routing for a power steering system on these? Thanks again.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:14 PM
DlJr82 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ersteering.jpg

Sounds Like your Pressure Line from your description. I just recently did this hose as a note if you do it before you remove the hoses from the back of the pump either take a picture or remember which way the hoses go into the back of the pump or else you wont be able to bolt it back up, made a job that should have taken me about hour and half, to a 3 hour job for not paying attention

Old 02-14-2009, 10:23 PM

Cool beans, thanks for the pic.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the powersteering cooler, this diagram shows that as well:

The colors are only to differentiate the lines. Green is the pressure line, red the hot line to the cooler,, and blue the cold return to the pump reservoir.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:19 PM

One more question, Other than for the high pressure line, can I use regular 3/8 trans line and hose clamps? Thanks again.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can, but make sure that you use good hose and better hose clamps.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:55 PM

Ok. I went to Oreilys to get my power steering line today. I told the guy that I had been in a week or two ago to buy a gas cap. I told them I had a 96 Blazer, 4x4, auto, etc. . So he hands me the box and I go outside to put it on, low and behold its the wrong one. My blazer has the screw in style, they gave me a newer design that has two little tabs on it. I went back in, told them what was up, they said my Blazer couldn't be a 96 becasue the correct cap was for a 95. My door tag says 08/95 for mfg date. The Blazer is licensed and insured as a 96. Am I going to have these problems getting parts all the damn time. Then he told me the powersteering line might not be correct because of this issue. I don't know what to do. What do I say when I go in for parts?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 PM
BudRacing is an unknown quantity at this point

Just say 96, and if the part doesn't work, go for the 95. Most of your stuff should be 96 though as a lot of stuff was changed between 95 and 96. If you're really that unsure, take the part in with you for reference.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:12 PM

I would like to thank everyone for there help. I FINALLY got to change my pressure line on the power steering. Kind of a pain in the @$$. But, once I took out the lower air filter box and the left front wheel, and peeled back the splash shield a bit, I got right to the back side of the pump. So a burnt finger and bloody knuckle later, I got her all buttoned up. And I didn't use any stubby wrenches, just regulars. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: major powersteering fluid loss