2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MAJOR problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TFisher
Taking those flanges apart will not be a nut & bolt job. Don't even start it without a blow torch or you'll just waste time and break tools. I just let my dad take out my old catalytic converter because the impact wrench wouldn't even touch the bolts. Then, I tried to remove the studs with an air hammer and still nothing. No amount of penetrating oil helped either. So, learning from that when I put it back together, I used all stainless hardware & plenty of nickel anti-seize. That metal was so tough that I tried to drill pilot holes in the studs (for the torch) and the carbide bit was thoroughly cooked after the first one. But, as soon as my dad put the acetylene torch on it, it was a breeze. I am guessing that this hardware is a class III or IV fit because WOW!

Regards,

Thomas
I stated that the bolts may be rusted and a pain to remove. Yes some mat require a torch but I have removed many with just some wrenches or sockets. Don't judge all vehicled by one experience.
You never know how hard they are to get off until you try.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I have never come across an exhaust I liked.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-09-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by TFisher
Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I have never come across an exhaust I liked.

Regards,

Thomas
I don't like them either. Most are tough but some are not too bad. Just be glad you are not working on exhaust from 30 years ago. They semed like they rusted overnite, most all connections were slip fit and you could never get them apart. Newer exhausts with different metal, high temp from the catalytic converters and flanged connections are a breeze by comparison.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Beginning Member
Chevy Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I have known the the previous owner for quite some time and called him up. He said he had similar problems when he first aquired it. I guess replacing the fuel pump was all it took to fix the rough idle it had. I wonder if it this problem is related to that.

The exhaust clamp doesn't look bad enough to take a torch to it, so regular tools will hopefully do the trick. I'll test it out tomorrow and see if it is the cat that is clogged. I had to recharge the battery today so I wasn't able to try it out.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 PM

Soak the exhaust bolts with penetrating fluid as soon as you can as that may help.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:10 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by terry s
I don't like them either. Most are tough but some are not too bad. Just be glad you are not working on exhaust from 30 years ago. They semed like they rusted overnite, most all connections were slip fit and you could never get them apart. Newer exhausts with different metal, high temp from the catalytic converters and flanged connections are a breeze by comparison.
X2!

Old 12-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Beginning Member

I soaked them for about 2-3 minutes and the socket took them right off. Getting the pipes apart however, is another issue.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Beginning Member

Alright, the Blazer hasn't been starting since it has been sitting, so I can't test to see if the catalytic converter was clogged. It has plenty of spark, so I figured it wasn't getting enough fuel. I changed the fuel filter today and it had quite a bit of dirt/impurities in it and was coming out of the exiting end as well. That leads me to believe it is continuing to travel down the fuel line. It acts as though it is starving for gas. Is there any other fuel system component down-stream of the fuel filter that could possibly clog up other then the injectors? Or, could it be a fuel sensor or other similar electrical problem that is causing the engine from not starting?

Old 12-14-2009, 12:21 PM

It sounds lile you should check the fuel pressure at the engine and see if you are getting 58-60 psi.
If dirt etc. was getting through the fuel filter it could have clogged up the injectors or possibly the regulator.
Are you sure particles other than just the brown color were coming through the filter. It is not uncommon for the fuel to come out of a dirty filter brownish colored. But dirt etc. should not get through the filter unless somehow the filter media developed a hole in it.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:30 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chevy Blazer
...I changed the fuel filter today and it had quite a bit of dirt/impurities in it and was coming out of the exiting end as well...
If some of the debris was little black specks it is probably from the brushes in the fuel pump breaking down. Time for a new pump.

Quick Reply: MAJOR problem