2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MAJOR problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:00 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

I'm glad you found the problem. I tried to save you some time.

Originally Posted by terry s
We are not sure what the problem is you and this would not be fun in the snow but you could unbolt the exhaust flange ahead of the catalytic converter. The bolts may be rusted and a pain to remove. Prop the pipes so the exhaust can get out. If it starts and runs ok then you have something blocked down stream in the exhaust system. The converter would be the most likely place for the blockage. Don't forget your ear plugs. :-)

Just a thought before you do that. As a test if the oxygen sensor(s) ahead of the converter will come out that might allow enough exhaust to come out so you can see if it helps it run better.
From what you found with it running on 5 cylinders my guess it it would have run with the pre-cat 02 sensor removed.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Beginning Member
Chevy Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your, and everyone else's, help and advice. I really appreiciate it. I'm just glad my blazer is finally running again. The new injector will hopefully keep it from running rich anymore because the old one was on its way out.

I drove it about 30 miles today and everything seems to be working great, aside from the exhaust leak. Although, the check engine light is on so I'll have to hook it up to read the codes. It might just be an O2 sensor since there was so much carbon built up in the catalytic converter.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:58 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

I'm glad you are back on the road again.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:03 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

nothing happier than a Blazer owner on the road again!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it running correctly again.

I'd get that exhaust leak fixed ASAP if it is ahead of the O2 sensor. An exhaust leak ahead of the O2 can cause an artificial lean reading. The PCM will respond by dumping more fuel in to even it back out.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Beginning Member

Well, that's good to know. The exhaust leak is on the side of the catalytic converter so its in between two O2 sensors. I've tried looking for the cap but I can't find it. I'll just have to try and get one from the junkyard, I need a new drivers-side cowl cover anyways.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Chevy Blazer
Well, that's good to know. The exhaust leak is on the side of the catalytic converter so its in between two O2 sensors. I've tried looking for the cap but I can't find it. I'll just have to try and get one from the junkyard, I need a new drivers-side cowl cover anyways.
WAIT A SECOND!!! You have a 95! Why do you have a downstream O2? My dad's 95 S-10 didn't and I don't think thats part of OBD-1...

Old 01-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the leak is after the upstream O2 sensor, then you shouldn't have to worry about it.

As far as 95's only having one O2 sensor... Well, there were three different PCM configurations for 95; Full OBD1, OBD1.5, and Full OBD2. the OBD1.5 and OBD2 configurations both had catalyst monitoring O2 sensors (downstream).

Old 01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member

I'm pretty sure mine is OBD2. So there is nothing really to worry about with the leak being where it is? It doesn't dump more gas in to compensate, like it would ahead of the first sensor?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Beginning Member

Well, the "check engine" light shut off today at about 85 miles. It must have corrected itself...