2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

manifold glows red

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Beginning Member
dekster is on a distinguished road
Exclamation manifold glows red

i have an 02 blazer zr2 75000 miles and i just did a tune up on it. when i did that i took the dust sheild or whatever that is off to reach the plugs and i didnt put it back on because it was dry rotted and now that i can see the manifold without looking to hard i noticed it was glowing on both sides after a 15 or 20 min drive. its runs fine no codes whats wrong with it any help would be greatly appreicated

Old 07-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Beginning Member
allhoursservice is on a distinguished road

Hey buddy, check your Catalytic converter...it might be red as well. And I'm betting that's the source of your problem. When it gets clogged, you're barely letting exhaust out of the motor.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Beginning Member

It doesnt apear to be and i put my hand at exhaust pipe and it seems to be flowing good Its usaly only highway that gets it glowing real red

Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You definitely have a restriction in your exhaust somewhere that is causing the system to run too hot.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Beginning Member

could it still be the cat even if its not glowing? if not any other ideas about whats restricting it. it sat for 7 months before me buying it so god knos what could have found its way in there

Old 07-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Beginning Member
adam10 is on a distinguished road

are you losing any power at all up hills or anything?even if not still probably your cat.you will still feel some pressure out the exhaust even if its clogged up.on mine and several others you could notice a loss of power.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Beginning Member

it seems to not pull real hard on hills and its just kinda seems like its struggling to breath now that you say somethin. so if it is the cat should i replace it or do some back yard mechanic work and just beat it out?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:43 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You could pull the O2 sensor ahead of the cat (the exhaust will be loud) and if the performance improves, it most likely is the cat. Only replacing it will keep you legal under Federal law since we do not discuss circumventing emission controls. Be aware that if any of the cat's insides broke loose they could restrict the muffler and that could also lead to the problems you're having.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:26 AM
Beginning Member

im think im just going to replace it im not the kind of guy to do things the easy way im just pressed for money thats why i considered beating it out thanks for the info

Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Beginning Member
allhoursservice is on a distinguished road

You can find a "generic" cat for about 100 bucks...any of your friends weld?

Quick Reply: manifold glows red