2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

manifold glows red

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Davi☠Rotten is on a distinguished road

I have not read through all these posts.. After six or so repeated "cat" remarks i stopped. U can go to a muffler shop and have them test the back pressure of ur cats to see if there any good. Glowing manifolds doesnt generally mean u have bad cats. More like the vehicle is running rich and the spent fuel is being burnt in the manifolds from the heat.. Your o2's dont come one until the vehicle is warmed up generally around 15 mins. So u need to look else where then the cats. You could have a manifold leak. it could be pulling in un metered air. You could have a exhaust leak any where in front of the o2 has to be sealed. meaning exhaust gaskets. No cracked manifolds..

Old 07-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davi☠Rotten
I have not read through all these posts.. After six or so repeated "cat" remarks i stopped. U can go to a muffler shop and have them test the back pressure of ur cats to see if there any good. Glowing manifolds doesnt generally mean u have bad cats. More like the vehicle is running rich and the spent fuel is being burnt in the manifolds from the heat.. Your o2's dont come one until the vehicle is warmed up generally around 15 mins. So u need to look else where then the cats. You could have a manifold leak. it could be pulling in un metered air. You could have a exhaust leak any where in front of the o2 has to be sealed. meaning exhaust gaskets. No cracked manifolds..
While it does take some time for the O2's to heat up, it is no where near 15 minutes. Try at most a minute of idling for them to become active. It may be a few minutes (3 tops) for the vehicle to enter closed loop operation.

Besides that, I agree completely as I posted above.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:05 AM
Beginning Member
dekster is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

it did not have any kind of exhaust leak the exhaust leak from the glowing red and the heat caused the exhaust leak. everythings fine with the o2 sensors no rich or lean codes it just passed emmisons yesterday. i put an infrared temp gauge and at the front of the cat is hot and the back is almost cool enough to touch ill just replace the cat because in my opinion sounds like thats the cause

Last edited by dekster; 07-24-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 AM
Beginning Member

well i spoke to soon replacing the cat made it run better but theres still the glowing on (both) sides but yes one does appear to glow more than the other it has a exhaust leak on one side. not the other any other ideas

Old 07-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you still have an exhaust restriction. If the cat had started to disintegrate, it could have sent junk into the muffler, possibly plugging it as well.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Beginning Member

well idk i cut the cat open and took a peak and it appeared to be fine but yet it still made it run better and im just gonna add this in so like i said in the first post i put plugs and wires but now if you get on it hard to the floor and stay in it like trying to get on the highway the check engine light flashes which is misfire do you think i just need to replace the cap and rotor or could this tie into the manifolds glowing

Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Have you tried running with the exhaust disconnected behind the cat?

Have you tested your fuel pressure and leak down?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member

its running right out the muffler no tail pipe and no

Old 07-31-2010, 11:36 PM
Beginning Member

ok it is not and exhaust restriction it is free flowing and working properly. but its still glowing so whats next?

Old 08-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Administrator

And how exactly did you test that?

Did your 'test' include the exhaust manifolds themselves..?

Quick Reply: manifold glows red