2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Many, Many, Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blazer51
Hey guys, Havent been on here for so long. Im been very busy with 2 jobs now but anyways im having tons and tons of problems with my blazer. 96 blazer ls 4x4 4door.
As you already know is my daily driver my first job is about 45min from where i live and my 2nd job is about an hour or so from where my 1st job is and from there is 1h and 30 min to get home. So daily i drive approx 250 - 300 miles daily all freeway. Anyways there are some problems im noticing.

1st Problem: Its been hard to start, it cranks the first time but no fire. the second time it cranks for a bit then starts. I have done a tune up (Spark plugs, wireset, cap and rotor, oil and oil filter, pcv valve). Idk what it can be sometimes it starts right off the bat.

2nd problem: I feel vibrations in the front end when going 65MPH and it gets faster the faster i go. I have replaced the hub bearings and have an alignment done. (I havent replaced the CV axles can that be the problem?)
The tires are new.

3rd Problem: Its been having a really hard time shifting usually when going about 25 to 35 mph. I took it about 3 months ago for a transmission fluid flush and replace with brand new fluid. Also the seals were replaced then, the fluid level is perfect, and the fluid is still clean no dibris of any kind.

4th problem: No A/C, its been about 101-110 degrees these days so its really a must i havent had time to take to a shop. What can be the common problem? Also there is also no air from vents only towards the windshield and floor but its only hot air.

Last: It might be related to the starting problem but when idling at a stop the blazer feels like its shaking a bit, like its trying to stall when i drive off its ok no problems only when im in complete stop. Also sometimes the Check gauges light comes on the same time it starts to shake at idle what can that be?

Please help if you have any ideas of what i can do to fix it. and if can please give me an amount of $ that i might spend fixing it if its worth it or better off buying a new car(that be a bummer).

Thanks in advance.
Hard Starting, rough running almost sounds like a vacuum leak.

New tires or not, swap the front tires to the rear and see what happens. The balancing job may not have been done very well.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:26 AM
Starting Member
Blazer51 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 50percentgenius
Make sure to check rockauto for your parts. Definitely. Should be between 75 and 100 bucks for a lower control arm and 20 to 50 bucks for a good moog pitman arm
Thanks ill be checking that page out for parts thanks man.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:28 AM
Starting Member
Blazer51 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tony H
Hard Starting, rough running almost sounds like a vacuum leak.

New tires or not, swap the front tires to the rear and see what happens. The balancing job may not have been done very well.
Ill be taking it to a shop for fuel pressure testing and hopefully they find the leaks if there is any. I did and its suppose to be a bad pit man arm.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:03 PM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

I replace my pitman arm a few yrs back. Wasn't that hard (As long as you have a fork to knock it off with) Didn't need a front end aliment. Now I know if you have to replace one of them (darn it forgot the name of it, thats what you get for being old) its the one you have to screw out and in and have to have a fork to knock one end off. Then you will need an aliment for sure. But for the idler arm or pitman arm I don't think so. Like I said I did mine yrs ago and the tire wear is just fine (30K put on it since then) No pull to either side. I still have the OEM ball joints in the Suv (Now watch they will go out) 106K on the Suv. Still having a situation with my grounds though, I think its in the turn sigs ground, one of these days I will get to it...Its my second Vech now and I only put like 1K a yr on it now and all that is short hops. But, I'm keeping it..Good luck with it. Once you put all that work into them, they are keepers, sometimes a pain in the butt.