2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Metal Fuel Line Repair Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:09 PM
dew88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Metal Fuel Line Repair Help

I have a metal fuel line that got pinched and then cut. How can I repair this? I am afraid to put in a rubber line to repair it because I don't want it to blow it off and cause a fire.

I don't know how to bend the metal pipe and the dealer wants way too much for the metal fuel lines. What do I do? Please someone help me out. This is the only thing stopping my extremely long build from being over finally!!

Old 07-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Beginning Member
versital98 is on a distinguished road

cant you use fuel line and put 2 or 3 clamps at each end?

Old 07-15-2009, 04:22 PM

Thats what I thought but being such high pressure I am scared it will blow off or leak and I don't want a fire.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:45 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

did you try a junk yard? If you buy the right size steel fuel line you can bend it with a tubing bender,Prolly need a flare tool also..just a suggestion

Old 07-15-2009, 05:13 PM

I am thinking I am going to buy some high pressure rubber line, a little smaller than the gas line and grease it to get it on and run 2 clamps on each end for now. I will not be daily driving it for a few weeks and that will give me chance to make sure its running right and find me a metal lines.

Alot of my local junk yards will not sell fuel lines and the ones that do don't have any in stock.

I will post results, I will be doing this and powering the pump to search for leaks. If no leaks then I will run the engine but not until I determine if its going to leak or not. Hopefully it won't but I will post results.

In the meantime thanks for all the help and if anyone runs on one or knows of one I will pay for it. Let me know yall and thanks

Old 07-15-2009, 06:30 PM

UPDATE:

I looked around and went to a performance shop and got some Goodyear High Pressure Fuel Injected Rubber Fuel Line Hose. Its supposed to support up to 85PSI. I also picked up 4 Fuel Injected Clamps, 2 for each end. I will post how it goes tomorrow.

I am not sure this will work I am hoping but this will not be permanet and will not be driven daily until I get the hard lines. I don't trust the rubber but I need to hear it run for my satisfaction.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

3/8" steel line and 2 compression unions, no flare tool necessary. Normal operating pressure is 60psi to 66psi. The OEM fuel pump is capable of building 108psi. Compression fittings are rated at 170psi. A little tubing bender action and you're in business!

Last edited by Captain Hook; 07-15-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:10 PM

I have never bent pipe, this is a new one for me. I would rather find a line local or buy a new one.

I will see how this goes, its only temp.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Harbor Freight has a cheapie bender, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3755 and it works fine for this type of job. Take your time and experiment with an old coat hanger, really there's nothin' to it. Auto parts stores sell steel line in lengths from 6" to 60" for under $10. They're mainly used for brake lines and have inverted flare fittings on each end, just cut 'em off and start bending.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:29 PM

Ok,

Sounds easy enough. How do I connect this newly bent line. I need the line from the intake to the fuel filter on a 96 4.3L 4x4.

Quick Reply: Metal Fuel Line Repair Help