2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Misfire no codes only when cold outside

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 10:42 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

2 leads diagnosing a problem is confusing and can be counterproductive. In looking back at the early posts I see that rockp2 responded first while I was writing my original response on this so he is the lead on your issue and I will let the two of you work through this together. Good luck gentlemen.

George

Old 12-15-2022, 11:10 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
2 leads diagnosing a problem is confusing and can be counterproductive. In looking back at the early posts I see that rockp2 responded first while I was writing my original response on this so he is the lead on your issue and I will let the two of you work through this together. Good luck gentlemen.

George
Respectfully, as far as I'm concerned, forums like this are an electronic version of guys in a garage working on a car like we did way back when. Guys and Gals bouncing thoughts off each other. Combined experiences working together can arrive at a solution much faster and I don't see it any way as counterproductive. I (and I'm sure the OP) welcomes anyone to the conversation that can help solve the problem. I don't see any reason you should sit on the sideline George. I'm sure the OP doesn't want you to either. You (or anyone else) may hit on something that I didn't see or think of. I was helped a lot by several folks on this forum years ago. That's what made it so helpful. If others can benefit from experiences and knowledge I have gained since then, I will offer it, regardless of who responds first to a post. So when that happens in the future, please don't take it as a slight on you or anything. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:35 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Attached are images from my '98 shop manual. FYI, if you want to get info for your truck specific, a great resource is Alldatadiy (for a subscription fee). They even provide colored wire diagrams now. If you need any help on how exactly to perform the tests, let us know.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:06 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rockp2
Respectfully, as far as I'm concerned, forums like this are an electronic version of guys in a garage working on a car like we did way back when. Guys and Gals bouncing thoughts off each other. Combined experiences working together can arrive at a solution much faster and I don't see it any way as counterproductive. I (and I'm sure the OP) welcomes anyone to the conversation that can help solve the problem. I don't see any reason you should sit on the sideline George. I'm sure the OP doesn't want you to either. You (or anyone else) may hit on something that I didn't see or think of. I was helped a lot by several folks on this forum years ago. That's what made it so helpful. If others can benefit from experiences and knowledge I have gained since then, I will offer it, regardless of who responds first to a post. So when that happens in the future, please don't take it as a slight on you or anything. Thanks.
Often it is too confusing if the poster starts trying to do what everyone is saying, and he starts going around in circles with too many ideas all at once. Doesn't necessarily mean that anyone is wrong. Just that it is confusing. If George had been the first post........... it's kind of an unspoken thing that he and I try to follow.

Old 12-16-2022, 10:00 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Often it is too confusing if the poster starts trying to do what everyone is saying, and he starts going around in circles with too many ideas all at once. Doesn't necessarily mean that anyone is wrong. Just that it is confusing. If George had been the first post........... it's kind of an unspoken thing that he and I try to follow.
as Les says this is kind of our unwritten operating style here. I thought I was the first answer on this one until I looked back and saw that in fact a response came in while I was writing mine which is why I decided to be graceful and bow out and follow our informal rules. I love helping people fix their trucks but I follow this process out of courtesy and I feel it works better.

George

Old 12-16-2022, 03:59 PM
Beginning Member
Kenneth Freeman is on a distinguished road

Being a novice on this stuff I'll take any and all of the help I can get. Please George stay in the thread!

Old 12-16-2022, 04:02 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

OK Kenneth Freeman, I think RockP2 is waiting for your response to post #20. Please carry on! We will be watching here in the background. Nothing worse for us than to make a suggestion and then have it ignored (not that you were ignoring it).

Last edited by LesMyer; 12-16-2022 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 04:05 PM
Beginning Member

I also have the data from this morning with key on engine off. The ambient temperature was 48°F and barometric pressure was 29.94.

Old 12-16-2022, 04:08 PM
Beginning Member

I'm also going to need to buy a multimeter to test the connector and IAT sensor (and learn how to use it).

Old 12-16-2022, 04:16 PM
Beginning Member

This is the live data and a graph (Sorry,l'm still trying to learn how to use the scanner).

Quick Reply: Misfire no codes only when cold outside