2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

misfire PO304 with new engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:29 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

After a full day at the shop doing diagnostics the problem has been narrowed down to either another bad poppet #4 or a bad lifter..Whats the chances of 2 brand new spider injector assemblies having the #4 poppet bad? if it is i need to play the lottery lol.. as far as the lifter goes the only thing i can think of at idle its not getting enough oil causing valve to not open properly causing a misfire..The scan tool was hooked up while driving and the misfire goes away under load or as soon as the throttle is reved up..so i am going to take the upper plenum back off and swap #2 poppet with #4 and see if the misfire moves to the #2 cylinder..If it doesn't ,back to square one and replace the engine again which is still under warranty. I'm so sick of this problem!
Does anyone have any thoughts to this?

Old 07-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say slim to none and put a dollar into the lottery for me! LOL

Have you checked to make sure that there is no exhaust leaks?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:02 PM

all the exhaust gaskets are new and there are no leaks. as for what you said earlier about a case relearn and getting a re flash please explain what the difference is between the two...Thanks

Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A flash is a complete reprogramming of the PCM. A CASE relearn is simply a teaching procedure for one value that does not involve any actual code changes, just a stored value change.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:07 PM

Oh and i just wanted to ask your opinion on the lifter..Is it possible?Ever hear of this happening?

ok thanks for the clarification ..because when i mention case relearn they look at me like i have 3 eyes..LMAO!!

Old 07-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Administrator

The lifter is a possibility. I have also seen a wiped cam lobe (where the cam lobe flattens out decreasing lift).

Old 07-02-2009, 09:18 PM

Thanks..I will diagnose the poppet in the morning and post results.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:06 AM

ok an update...i swapped #2 and #4 poppet and took it for a 40 mile drive...seems to idle better and much better throttle response and no SES light so far...UMMMM ok im lost! Swapping legs could be the issue, i just dont understand how...will see what happens through out the day.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by reelbroke2
ok an update...i swapped #2 and #4 poppet and took it for a 40 mile drive...seems to idle better and much better throttle response and no SES light so far...UMMMM ok im lost! Swapping legs could be the issue, i just dont understand how...will see what happens through out the day.
Thats odd but what the hell hope it works for ya

Old 07-03-2009, 01:09 PM

Yes i agree it's very odd..Still have a slight rough idle almost like having a lopey cam lol But still no SES light..Could it be possible poppet#2 which is now in position 4 has great spray and compensating for a bad lifter and a weak poppet #4 now in 2 but with a good lifter, is balancing everything out? There are no engine noises at all

Quick Reply: misfire PO304 with new engine