2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

MPFI Upgrade with or without lower intake gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Starting Member
Doubledown is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mike.308
If You're short with time, I'd urge You to post some engineering data from OBD. A fuel trims on idle would be a good start.
I am working with the Torque app and a Bluetooth scanner. I will see how detailed of information it will give me.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:47 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

With a 4.3 the real question is not IF they fail it's WHEN as yes they WILL FAIL and as lower bearings are aluminum and not the old style babbet alloy any contamination of antifreeze in the oil is almost automatic lower end failure

Old 12-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Check for:
O2 1x1
O2 2x1
STFT1/2
F/T 1x1
F/T 2x1
of course, on a warmed engine, "Component status" should turn into a "closed loop".
Check for any errors.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by odat
With a 4.3 the real question is not IF they fail it's WHEN as yes they WILL FAIL and as lower bearings are aluminum and not the old style babbet alloy any contamination of antifreeze in the oil is almost automatic lower end failure
Well, yup there is always a gambling factor, but I can bet they won't fail prior the SMOG 2 exam.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:04 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

Ya but I'm lazy so when I'm this close I'd go for it instead of doing it twice. And the fact that if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. LOL

Old 12-18-2018, 05:29 PM

I guess I am more lazy than You are. I've cut the LIM job and get directly to the smog exam issues (as the temporary permit is about to an end). And I refuse any further work unless i find some engineering based evidence.[1]

Once this case is closed, then sure, why not? OP can do all the gaskets at once

[1] I used to apply that to pretty every engineering work I do.
EDIT: Time for me to go to bed (1AM here). If OP posts the data everyone is welcome to make a conclusion and lead him into the right direction.

Last edited by Mike.308; 12-18-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:05 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

These LIM gaskets will fail and I'm not sure if the important parameter is miles on the odometer or age. Seeing how the gaskets are exposed to the coolant no matter if the truck is stationary or not, I'd err on the side of doing them soon if you don't do them when replacing the fuel injection spider.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Check for:
O2 1x1
O2 2x1
STFT1/2
F/T 1x1
F/T 2x1
of course, on a warmed engine, "Component status" should turn into a "closed loop".
Check for any errors.

I selected everything I could on there that seemed of us.Warmed her up and did some driving hopefully it has the correct info you were looking for.
Thanks

Attached Files
Old 12-18-2018, 09:13 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Doubledown
The idle code only came after cleaning the MAF and Throttle, which is why I went down the TPS and IAC path, but I plan to do the vacuum hoses anyway while bring it back to reliable road worthy. Another post I can't find again is regarding the vacuum line paths and the sizes. If someone can link me or let me know at least the vacuum ID sizes I need to buy rolls of that would also help.
I will try to pull a quick log tomorrow when I drive it and show the values here.
I definitely have all the tools needed just trying to balance by time left in troubleshooting if the spider leak isn't the only problem. I also don't want to do the change because I literally just did an oil change while tuning up.
Ideas on the cause of the secondary air pump OBDII test on these blazers?
The secondary air pump OBD2 test for emissions readiness has a mind of it's own. I have never figured out how to make it run, even though a drive procedure is supposed to accomplish that. I can say that if you clear codes, you will definitely clear the secondary air pump emissions readiness. Dealer with Tech 2 can force the test to happen in the service bay as a last resort. Good luck

Old 12-18-2018, 09:16 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by LesMyer
The secondary air pump OBD2 test for emissions readiness has a mind of it's own. I have never figured out how to make it run, even though a drive procedure is supposed to accomplish that. I can say that if you clear codes, you will definitely clear the secondary air pump emissions readiness. Dealer with Tech 2 can force the test to happen in the service bay as a last resort. Good luck
Yea I had all but the secondary air test complete. then did the cleaning and cleared the codes. Now I have that and two others I cant remember at the moment. Good to know I can get a tech to force it .. wonder how much they would charge for that.. maybe more than another smog haha

Quick Reply: MPFI Upgrade with or without lower intake gasket replacement