2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

multiple questions, first post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 04:07 PM
daddyx2 is on a distinguished road
Default multiple questions, first post!

I have a 1999 s10 blazer 4door 4x4 lt package. As of now it is all oem equiptment, 170k miles 3rd motor because of the raw deal I got from the used car dealer I got it from at 2 years ago. But current motor with 100k+/-. I have an electric start and pioneer system with stock speakers in it.

Now down to the questions. When i start it up there it a belt squeak, everytime I give it some belt dressing and it goes away after it warms up. The tensioner and belt was replaced last year (Oct). What can i do besides turn the radio up so I don't hear it?

I have been contemplating a cold air intake, or just using the oem tube with a 4inch acceptable k&n filter, or just the existing housing with a k&n flat filter?

And I'm trying to find out what this rattle is on my exhaust, I just had the y pipe tightened so i know that's not it. Heard a YouTube vid of a kid that had a similar sound to his exhaust, he said his 02 sensor was loose?

And I want to upgrade from the halogen bulbs. Been looking at a set of g/e 9006 and 9005s any ideas? And taillights too? Thank you Very much for your help! -mike

Old 05-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Beginning Member
Striker911 is on a distinguished road

Ive never used belt dressing, but every time I had a belt making noise I had a loose belt or a bad accessory. U can take the belt off and inspect every pulley and clean them off then change the belt. The dressing seems like it would attract dirt and cause problems. While you have your belt off check to make sure everything is tight, clean, turn the pulleys to make sure nothing is locking up and making it hard for the belt to turn it. Last thing is to make sure you have the correct belt, and that its tracking straight. Some accessory's take shims or spacers.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Beginning Member
Joshua1023 is on a distinguished road

I've had the belt deal happen to several vehicles where I couldn't seem to quite it down. Had it to the mechanic to check that all pulleys are in line. 2 months later it would start squeaking again.

I switched over to the gator back belts from Goodyear and it solved the issue both times.

Don't use belt dressing. Ever. I would take some Foaming engine brite to the belt and pulleys first with the engine running and spray the hell out of it w/ a hose after a few minutes. That may take care of it all by itself. A little bit of grease on the idler or tensioner from install of the new belt will cause a squeak.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:06 PM

Thanks, the only thing I see wobbly when i look straight at the motor is the tensioner.just the center of it. Hasn't made any noise until a rainy day 3 weeks ago. Even on dry days now it squeaks now

Old 05-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Default ty

Thanks, the only thing I see wobbly when i look straight at the motor is the tensioner.just the center of it. Hasn't made any noise until a rainy day 3 weeks ago. Even on dry days now it squeaks now