2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

multiple ?s from a newish member

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:40 PM
daddyx2 is on a distinguished road
Question multiple ?s from a newish member

FYI
regular text= the story
bold text = the questions

i do beleive this is my first post on here, so, thanks for the information that you guys have compiled, and the awesomeness in the build threads. i have several ideas for my 1999 s10 blazer lt, and maybe do some to my 1999 s10 blazer ls too, but at the present time its enough of a headache keeping them running. my fuel pump died on me 4 months ago and i had to have it replaced, with a 50 mile tow btw, <prior to me having AAA> to the tune of 1300 bucks. when the mechanic pulled it out he showed me the part, and said that it was probably the original one put in the truck on the assembly line. i figured 13 years was a good life for it, being that the body is at 170k, motor at 130k +/-. today i just tried to fire it up and the electrics lit up, radio on, battery at the 1/4 hash mark and the motor turning, just not kicking over. after hooking up the jumpers to the gfs blazer for 15 minutes it still sputtered. i didnt hear the wine of the fuel pump, and the smell of fuel under the hood not sure if i flooded it or the fuel pump took a turn for the worse. didnt see the part that went in, so not sure if it was rebuilt or new. just know it came from NAPA. should this part still be under warranty? another problem that i keep having year after year is the air pump going bad, this makes year #3 in a row. at 130 for the part 70 to install, on top of 40 bucks pass or fail for the inspection. is theyre a underlying cause to air pumps going bad after 8 months? i live in northern new england, so snow is expected every year, i bathe the truck once to twice a week to prevent salt damage, i drive 2.7 miles to work, them home, once every 3 months, i make a 72 mile trip to the VA hospital, then put it in park is it something im doing wrong? (at the time the truck was in new hampshire, where emissions are required, and a check engine light fails that i guess) currently in the process of moving it to maine where emissions doesnt come into play, and its 13 bucks for a sticker every year. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:32 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

most aftermarket fuel pumps have at least a one year warranty...even the cheapest of them. when i did mine the first time it was airtex (didnt know better) it failed after warranty by two months...the second was boshe lifetime replacement...that one has 20k on it and works great.

by air pump i am not sure what you mean....other then your talking about some emissions parts.

mine is a 99 as well, i will try to help ya out...just want to make sure we are on the same page. and i am sure someone else will chime in as well.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:14 AM

yeah mines a 1999 blazer LT package. now that i think about it, i think i do remember seeing a delphi box that was blue with white delphi letters around the box...but i just hope that the mechanic doesnt rip me too hard for pulling it, and putting the new one in...and convienently i just topped the tank off...when it hits the mechanic, im expecting to get it back with less than a quarter tank of gas like i did last time..i really need a garage and my tools from dads house...

Old 07-01-2012, 12:15 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

there is no reason to not put the gas back in the tank...i have dropped mine with at least half and done it all by myself.
if your mech is "stealing" your gas i think its time to shop around.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:37 PM

think he calls it test driving...i mean i can see that you have to siphon the tank down a bit to drop it easier and get the work done, but holy crap...at $3.42 a gal times 3/4s of a tank on top of the repairs adds up.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:44 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! $1300 for a tow and a fuel pump swap-thats way too high! My brother lives in Moody and paid only $450 for a tow and pump swap in his 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee and paid full retail for the pump. An aside-I lived in northern NH for many years and have found that washing a vehicle too frequently in harsh winter climates only accelerates the corrosion,but I did not have this problem when I lived in Vail CO,Much less salt used there at 8,000 feet,one learns how to drive in those adverse conditions that are found in Maine as well! I agree with warthog:find a new wrench! Best to you!

Old 07-01-2012, 04:52 PM

only reason i think i have to go back to the same mechanic is because he has the receipt for the purchase of the fuel pump that he bought after it was towed. so i dont think that i would get the warranty on the pump if i went elsewhere. my dads a mechanic, just getting up in his age with 3 herniated disks, and in his current supervisory status, rides a desk too much instead of turning wrenches. but to his credit he did rebuild a motor from a junkyard that he paid 800 for when my 4.3 became a 4 cylinder the hardway.

step66, tell your brother to avoid browns service center on route 1 in moody, ( by the big mini golf place)...thats where ive been bent over the barrel for the past 2 years..

Old 07-01-2012, 07:52 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I believe the part is warrantied but not the labor. Some companies include labor if you had it installed at a place they have recognized etc.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 PM

nope just run of the mill garage...

Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

The part should still have a manufacturers warrenty, but you might be liable for labor etc.

Quick Reply: multiple ?s from a newish member