2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

My 97 LS

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 AM
cessna king94 is on a distinguished road
Default My 97 LS

Hello,

My name is Nick, and I am new to the forums and just wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple of questions! This is my first car, and I do like it quite a bit. However, sometime when I am stopped and give it a little gas I hear a rattle almost like something is loose. I changed my oil this past weekend and while under the car I tried to see if there was anything loose and couldn't find anything. Any ideas?

Best Regards,

Nick Phillips.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 AM
gojorg has a spectacular aura aboutgojorg has a spectacular aura about

Hi, Welcome

I had that problem until I changed my catalytic converter, you might want to check that

Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 AM

gojorg,

That's interesting because about a week ago the check engine light came on, and went to auto zone to get them to check it. They said it could be the O2 sensors or the catalytic converter. Do you know of any cheap places to get a catalytic converter? I didn't realize there were three O2 sensors and they were like $50 a pop!

Best Regards,

Nick Phillips.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 AM

Yeah, it's kind of pricey to replace, I just installed a high flow universal cat conv like this
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
then I had a shop cut out the old and weld the new in for $40, most muffler shops won't do it because they want to sell you the replacement wich could be $300-400 just for the cat plus labor. I have not had any problems or check engine light come on with it

Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 AM

Gojorg,

Thanks for the help! Did that new cat help with fuel mileage? I am about to start a job that is about 50 miles round trip and need a little bit better fuel mileage. Also, another question if you can! The old lady that had this car before me let it sit up without letting it run for about a year and a half, and now the fuel gauge doesn't work. Any ideas on how to get the gauge to work again?

Best Regards,

Nick Phillips.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 AM

Mine don't work either, I think I have to replace it but have not gotten around to that. As far as gas mileage I have not seen a difference because I drive less than 3 miles to work each way