2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

my drivers door doesnt open on my 97

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:10 PM
azurecumpton is on a distinguished road
Default my drivers door doesnt open on my 97

i have a 97 4 door 2wd blazer...
the outside door handle has become lose...seems like a bolt backed its-self out and on the right side of the handle (facing the door) wants to come off when attempting to open the door, but the other side still holds.
but the door doesn’t open. i tried the inside handle and nothing....the door locks seem to work. (push the lock button and you hear all normal noise's and **** still slides.) the door just does not want to open…climbing in and out the window was ok the first day but know im at my end ...........need help....sos........send lawyers, guns, and money

Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have the classic combination of door hinge failure leading to latch failure as well as the linkage failure from the outer door handle to the latch! These doors and their components are a design in failure! Unfortunately:I don't know of a successful repair besides replacing with failure prone parts again! Try a search on this site. I have owned my 66 C-10 since 1972 and have NEVER had to replace ANY door parts(besides regulators that is) Anyway you may have to have a qualified body shop work on it! I feel your pain! Good luck!

Old 03-18-2012, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about
Red face

Update: If you posted that by mobile or Ipad-ish gadget, I apologize profusely for my ***-holeness about the font. I was not aware that posts from phones set different fonts.
They shouldnt. But I went off halfcocked. I am leaving my post below as it was so that I may be hooted at or derided as the case may be. Not taking back the part about ignoring the problem though.

TRY HOLDING THE RIGHT SIDE IN PLACE WHILE LIFTING HANDLE AND SOMEONE INSIDE LIFTS AND PUSHES LIGHTLY AGAINST DOOR

Gee... all this happened within a day... or week?!!!!!

Why do I doubt that. Then you come on here and emphasize your font as if that will make us treat the situation with more urgency.

Or is that the way you depict a big *** ..
WHINE ... where you usually hang out?

Here's your choices:
1. trash your inner door panel on the chance you can get at the latch.
2. rip out the outside handle and fish around to see if you can make it release
3. take it to a body shop as suggest above.. AFTER you confirm they know handle the problem.

Of course it wouldnt have happened if you'd acted on the warning signs in the first place. These things do not get better. Now you know.. and you also know I aint got much sympathy.. if I'd done that Id be ashamed to even post it.

Final word: If you dont like my tone first remember I did give you reasonable advice; your option is to complain about it to a moderator.
I am sure they will give me a good spanking.

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-19-2012 at 10:53 AM.