2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

My girlfriend has a 95 jimmy. The front u-joints are making a clicking noise.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 12:25 PM
Beginning Member
rickyd123 is on a distinguished road
Default My girlfriend has a 95 jimmy. The front u-joints are making a clicking noise.

My girlfriend has a 95 jimmy. The front u-joints are making a clicking noise. I'm want to replace both sets, but I've never done it. I was wondering how difficult it is and if there is a sticky on here that will walk me through the steps. I consider myself a below average shade tree mechanic.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:57 PM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

Are you sure it's the U-joints and not the CV joints?

Old 07-07-2022, 05:13 PM
Beginning Member

It doesn't have cv joints. It's 4wd

Old 07-07-2022, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by rickyd123
It doesn't have cv joints. It's 4wd
Aaaaa OK, thanks!

Old 07-07-2022, 07:38 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Are you referring to the joints on the driveshaft that goes from the transfer case to the front axle or are you referring to the front drive axles that are connected to the front tires?

The driveshaft will have u-joints and the drive axles will have CV joints.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208
Are you referring to the joints on the driveshaft that goes from the transfer case to the front axle or are you referring to the front drive axles that are connected to the front tires?

The driveshaft will have u-joints and the drive axles will have CV joints.
I that that might be the case but wasn't sure. CV joints are known to click during turns when they go bad.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:21 AM
Beginning Member

I thought only front wheel drive cars had cv joints. I'm talking about the joints on the drive shaft. These are defiantly u-joints.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:35 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rickyd123
I thought only front wheel drive cars had cv joints. I'm talking about the joints on the drive shaft. These are defiantly u-joints.
Yes, if you ate referring to the driveshaft betwern the transfer case and front axle, then they are u-joints.

Our Blazers have an independent front suspension (IFS) that uses CV-joints to drive the front wheels much like how a a front wheel drive car is set up.

But many 4wd trucks have a solid axle suspension (SAS). Examples of these would include your classic Jeeps.

Unfortunately I have never replaced the front drive shaft u-joints.

I have replaced them on an old Dodge Dart. These often can involve the use of a press.

Perhaps someone else here can help you with specific advice.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:47 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

First, I would confirm that it's actually the driveshaft u-joints making the noise and not the ale shaft CV joints. Noise from the axle shafts is much more common. The driveshaft will normally only make noise in 4WD, and the axles will be much worse when going around turns. Also, look at the rubber boots on the CV joints, If they're torn, the joints are probably junk.

I believe the front driveshaft has a weird u-joint at the transfer case end that isn't easy to change. But my personal experience with it is limited to removing it and throwing it away a few years ago. If you can't find info on here about fixing it, YouTube probably has something.

Old 07-08-2022, 11:25 AM
Beginning Member

It only makes the clicking noise going in a straight line. The noise increases in speed the faster you go. I called AutoZone to get a quote on cost because I'll probably have to save up the money. They said there only two u-joints. One at the transfer case and the other at the rear of the vehicle. Maybe this sound is something I haven't even considered yet.

Quick Reply: My girlfriend has a 95 jimmy. The front u-joints are making a clicking noise.