2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

My Jimmy loves the key sooooooo much...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 02:10 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough
Default My Jimmy loves the key sooooooo much...

...that it doesn't want to let it go. I've driven my '98 Jimmy a few times since replacing the intake manifold gaskets. I can't always get the key turned to the OFF position. Sometimes it will go all the way off and sometimes it won't. At that point I can remove the key and turn the ring and start the Jimmy. I've tried pushing the key in, pulling the key out, jiggling the key, pressing the brake pedal, restarting the Jimmy, jiggling the shift lever (it's a floor shift), moving the tilt wheel up and down and a bunch of other things. I can't figure out what's going on with it.

I've looked at several posts about this and other similar problems and I can't figure out where to start troubleshooting. It really makes me want to drive my '93 Jimmy more. The Gen-1 SUVs were charming in their simplicity.

What should I check first? Shift lever? Ignition cylinder? This is a new adventure for me.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Beginning Member
jwalker1992 is on a distinguished road

well i would change the ignition switch thats sounds like the problem to me eazy and cheep maybe 20 bucks and 30 mins out of your day

Old 07-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I like to do some diagnosis before I start changing parts.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:14 AM
spittybays

Good idea, think you have a mechanical problem in the cylinder not the electrical switch. Go to the Blazer Forum home page and use the dedicated Google tool bar, something like STUCK KEY.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:28 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

im pretty sure its just the ignition cylinder. they are easy to change. and usually around 20 buckaroo's

Old 07-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Beginning Member
jwalker1992 is on a distinguished road

sorry about getting my parts names mixed up in my head i was thinking ignition cylinder not switch im pretty sure there is no way other than taking it out and seeing if its broke

Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 PM
mychevyisntheavy is on a distinguished road

its the electrial part of the key switch. not the key its self and not the cylinder either. make sure u buy a new gm ac delco part. the after market stuff only works for a lil while.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:57 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mychevyisntheavy
its the electrial part of the key switch. not the key its self and not the cylinder either. make sure u buy a new gm ac delco part. the after market stuff only works for a lil while.
I doubt its the switch

Old 07-28-2012, 02:02 PM
mychevyisntheavy is on a distinguished road

well samething was happening to mine and i put a after market switch in worked for awhile. then it started it again. but this time the trans would take off in first. so i tested the fuse for the trans and sure enough it didnt have power. so i talked to the gm tech guy i know he said that those after market switches are not good to put a ac delco in. so i did now my truck does fine

Old 07-28-2012, 02:08 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

well he dont have an problem just the keys stuck.

Quick Reply: My Jimmy loves the key sooooooo much...