2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

mysterious ticking/unusually high oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Beginning Member
vernzr2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mysterious ticking/unusually high oil pressure

Hey guys,
I've gone through alot of posts on lifter ticking and oil pumps.None of them explain what I'm going through w/my 02' zr2 4.3. About three days ago I heard a ticking when I started her in the morning, lasted only a few seconds. Since then it has gotten progressively worse ( ticks for a few minutes then stops ). It sounds louder under the engine compartment than under the hood. I changed my oil and filter about a month ago and haven't put more than 500 miles on it. I bought it in 05' and it has had lower oil pressure since I bought it(idols at 20, going down the road just over 40). Today I started her and stepped on the gas and my oil pressure shot all the way across the gauge. That has never happened! No clue what's going on. Seems like oil is running through a heck of alot quicker than it should. could this be a lifter or oil pump problem? Sorry for the long post trying to be specific. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:11 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: mysterious ticking/unusually high oil pressure

What does your coolant level look like? What did the oil look like when you changed it? Do you smell antifreeze at all?

Old 03-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Beginning Member

Coolant level has been kind of screwy, I've had problems w/ my heat,level drops a very little every few days. No antifreeze in the oil, but I pulled the stick today it it seems like scorched oil on the stick almost up to the full mark

Old 03-13-2008, 07:02 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've researched, ticking could possibly be coolant making its way into the oil via the intake manifold gasket and thinning it out, thereby reducing it's lubricating qualities. Run a search on 'Intake Manifold Gasket' and see if you have similar symptoms as others. The sooner the better because you can cause some serious damage to the engine by essentially running water through it instead of oil.

Do the coolant levels come back up or do you refill when it gets low?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:07 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Just a thought...did you do the oil change yourself? If you took it to jiffy lube or equivalent, you might have an issue.

On my Dad's explorer, through changing drivers (myself, my dad, and older bro), none of us got the oil changed, and it went a solid 10,000 miles on conventional oil. What finally prompted the change was a ticking sound, and the gauge would peg randomly. Hardly any oil was left, and the filter was all full of burnt up lookin oil!

Hopefully you did your own oil, and you've got it all under control

Old 03-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Beginning Member

Changed oil myself, good to go. I talked to a friend of mine today who owns a smaller yet very successful garage. He said they refuse to work on a 4.3 97' and later as far as intake manifold gaskets go because 9 out of 10 times they will leak and the motor will blow anyway. I'm no professional mechanic but he makes this project sound very intimidating. By the way he said it sounds like I have a lifter tick and I see on the front right side my lower intake gasket is starting to leak. He recommends oil additive and coolant stop leak. All opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 03-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why a mechanic would make a statement like that. Almost sounds like they are not confident in their ability to affect the repair.

One crucial part of this repair is the torque value on the intake manifold bolts. Too tight and you risk damaging the gasket frame (if plastic). The newer gaskets available are metal now. More expensive, but much better.

The D-Tips Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement Article is a great how-to!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Beginning Member

Does anyone know about how much doing intake gaskets and new lifters would cost me? Also wondering how long this project will take me.Again, not a pro mechanic but I do ok.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Cost would be the cost of the gasket set - MS98002T is about $80 or so and a weekend to do the work. You should be able to do it with a good socket and combination wrench set. You will need everything from 10mm to 17mm and a large adjustable. You will also want to have a good scraper, some emry cloth, a flat file, a vacuum, and a few rolls of shop towels.