2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Mystery cable under hood?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Beginning Member
Mgardner1991 is on a distinguished road
Default Mystery cable under hood?

05 2dr 2wd base model

Looking under the hood there is a steal braided cable about a foot in connected to the firewall about a foot from the passenger side of vehicle. I assume it was grounding something but one end came off and not its just connected to the firewall.

Can someone please tell me where is connects and possibly what it's for? Thanks.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Beginning Member
Charles Hines is on a distinguished road

Engine to chassis ground cable.Clean the mounting surfaces and reattach it with a bigger metal screw.Yes,you need it.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Beginning Member

Could that be why my abs light is on or unrelated? Thanks

Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Beginning Member
Charles Hines is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mgardner1991
Could that be why my abs light is on or unrelated? Thanks
Probably unrelated,but if the light goes out after re-attaching it,maybe. The ABS light and related ABS issues are usually related to speed sensors wearing out.The front hub bearings are the speed sensors for the front wheels and wear out regularly.There is a speed sensor in the transfer case for the rear and the speedometer.The ABS system can be scanned for codes with a high end scanner which will lead you to the cause of the light.Search the forum for "cures" if you have the common pedal push back issue.The abs can be deactivated to stop the push back,the brakes still work fine,but the antilock won't work.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks. I got the strap fixed. I thought it was what was causing a misfire when I'm around 80mph and close to 3-4000 rpm but I fixed it and today when I got on the highway I got up to 80 real quick and the CEL flashed, plugged my scanner in and see a misfire like it has been when I test this. I just replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fixed that grounding strap but still no luck.
On top of that, Sunday I got pulled over testing this misfire problem again so I think I'll just leave the misfire problem alone seeing as I have no reason (yet) to go 80+ mph other than give myself work to do to my blazer and have the law breathing down my neck for 200$

Unrelated, I still don't know why my abs light is on but am gonna take it to ammco as it came on last week the day after they checked my truck out and told me my cat is bad.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Well your cat being bad would definitely explain the misfire...

As for the abs, just take it to a shop and have them tell you the code then tell us what it is and we will help you fix it.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Beginning Member

Abs light is on because passenger wheel hub is shot. You can shake the tire when it's jacked up. Along with needs new front pads and rotors. Just picked those up. And was getting catalytic converter welded on and they came in and said both motor mounts are shot and wanted 350 for the mounts installed. I picked up front rotors, pads, and a hub. So that will take care of that. Gonna check the mounts myself and will do that job myself if need be. The tranny mount and 1 motor mount was replaced with 3-4 years ago so kinda ridiculous.

Is the motor mount a straight forward job? Lift motor undo bolt and replace new parts?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mgardner1991
...Is the motor mount a straight forward job? Lift motor undo bolt and replace new parts?
In theory yes, in reality, nope, not fun at all, especially the driver side with 4X4. ROYAL pita, wouldn't even attempt it without a hoist.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
In theory yes, in reality, nope, not fun at all, especially the driver side with 4X4. ROYAL pita, wouldn't even attempt it without a hoist.
Luckily 2wd. And tools are no problem. Auto craft center on military base has all the equipment. The work tho...a bit harder as I had 4 major surgeries recently. I'll just get a buddy in my unit to help. Hopefully it goes smooth.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 AM
Beginning Member

I have some choice words for the dumb A$$ at napa tomorrow. He sold me the the wrong hub. There was some high rider package that they have parts for (I need to read up on it around here so I know the difference. Maybe someone could share a simple answer to that?) and It wouldn't go on but it got late and I have a cold so I made it go on. Now I have to ride my motorcycle to work in this Washington state winter weather with a cold.

I bought a 80 piece socket set at a diff auto store. The only socket it did not have out of the entire 80 pieces was a mother F-ing 18mm socket. Which is what you need to get to the hub and remove it. So I had to use a 19mm and it started to round out the bolts. Which is might fault for not knowing so I'm not mad that I messed up the bolts just that a 80 piece set had everything but a 18. It had higher and lower sizes of metrics and standards so wtf why no 18mm. Geez.

Will be going to autozone tomorrow after work for an 18mm socket and the correct hub and once i mount it I will go to napa to return the dumb monkeys mess up and give him a huge piece of my mind. Will report back tomorrow night.

Quick Reply: Mystery cable under hood?