2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Installer361 is on a distinguished road
Default need help

is it possible that my intake gasket is leaking water into a cylinder and no where else . i lose a small amount of water it doesnt overheat but stubles on lazy hills until you get in the gas but even then lacks the powerthat it should have. ive changed alll that could be elated to this except for the lower intake gaskets

Old 06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

yes, when the LIM fails it goes into the block. Is there any white smoke coming out of the exhaust? Does the exhaust smell like coolant? Take off the oil filler cap, does it smell like coolant? Pull the dip stick, is the oil on it milky? Those are all signs of a leaking LIM gasket. Also, how much coolant are you losing? Are there any visible signs of it leaking externally? What all have you replaced?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member
Zach_99Blazer is on a distinguished road

I just replaced my intake manifold gasket on my 99 Blazer yesterday. It took a full day of work but i'm good to go now. Running like new

Symptoms i had:
Lack of power
White smoke from exhaust
Overheating
Slow loss of coolant over time (about a quart a month)
Very high oil level, oil was like water when I drained it
Running very roughly

I bought the gasket at advance auto, along with a new dist. cap, spark plugs, oil + filter and put it all on in about 6.5 hours of work. Spark plug #3 was about 3 hours of it LOL

Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Hope you got the updated felpro gasket, metal and rubber construction. Its a superior design. Don't have the part number handy though.

Not a hard job, just takes some time. When I remove #3 I take out the airbox and steering arm and go in from the top. Still a PITA though. Just gotta be sure to get the splines lined back up on the arm.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Installer361 is on a distinguished road
Default felpro

its called the problem solver gasket but no i already had the oem felpro.Ive changed the lim on my last blazer so the job will be a breeze.ive changed dist. coil, vapor canister,plugs,wires,plenum gasket ,fi spider,egr,did all this tryin to get this stumble out and no diffrence was made.engine light never comes on.it was leaking at the front externally but quit i was thinkin it was the water pump gasket and i know the front driver corner is bad to fail.it doesnt blow white smoke all the time out the pipe if the leak is small enough could it be burning off and just screwing up my mixture.no water in the oil i changed it bout a mnth and a half ago i run castrol syntec and its still clear like i just poured it out the jug.not sure how much coolant i lose but i refill my overflow once a month but cant find where its going. egine has 170k on it by the way im lost on this one just doesnt have the tale tale symtoms of the lim at least not all of em. could i be losing water in the front where i thought it had stoped and the miss be coming from the extra air eaking into the cylinders it seems to be externally blow if anything thanks a bunch for takin time to look over this and reply

Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Beginning Member
Zach_99Blazer is on a distinguished road

It is possible that water is going internally, i would just go thru a checklist.

Clean gas?
Trace spark plug wires cap to plug (dont overlook this)
Air intake free of debris?
Throttle control functional?
All plugs in straight?

Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Beginning Member
raven71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you able to do a compression test and a cylinder leak down test? I would think if it is leaking into a cylinder your going to either like said blow white smoke or start putting pressure into the coolant system and overheating. Do you see any water sludge on the dip stick or has the oil level got higher when you check it, Do you see any brown stuff on the radiator cap or in the radiator?

http://www.allpar.com/fix/leakdown-test.html

I would also see if when you pull the plugs if there is a indication of water going into the cylinder. Also have you been able to put a radiator pressure tester on the vehicle. Have you checked the carpet for a bad heater core. I'm not saying the stumble and loss of power is not related to a gasket problem, but don't get tunnel vision and relate it to one thing for the loss of fluid. I would also put a vacuum guage on it and see what is does.