2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need help with E-Brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Starting Member
2klt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help with E-Brake

I have searched all 3 vol of 2000 S/T Truck manual and can not find direction to adjust Emergency Brake. I have almost no resistance on pedal and when I release the brake with handle, sometimes the pedal will not pop up and release. Can someone email me how to do this if it is short and sweet and not too much typing involved or direct me to where I might find it in the manual. Not sure which of the three vols. it might be found in. I looked all through the Brake Section but maybe overlooked it. I have not gotten under the truck to see if I can just figure it out from just a visual....
Thanks for any help with this....

Old 01-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Need help with E-Brake

Does the brake hold at all?

Adjustments

The park brake must be adjusted any time the park brake cables have been replaced or disconnected, or if under heavy foot pressure the pedal travel is less than half the pedal total travel. Before adjusting the park brake, check the condition of the service brakes. Refer to Brake Drum Inspection or Brake Pad Inspection in Disc Brakes. The rear brakes must be adjusted properly before adjusting the park brake.
  1. Block the front wheels.
  2. Raise the rear axle and support the rear axle with safety stands.
  3. Loosen the equalizer nut.
  4. Fully release the park brake pedal.
  5. Tighten the equalizer nut until the rear wheels will not rotate without excessive force in a forward direction.
  6. Loosen the equalizer nut until there is little or no drag when the rear wheels are rotated in a forward direction.
  7. Lower the vehicle.
  8. Remove the blocks from the front wheels.
Then there is adjustment in the parking brake band itself.

Adjustments

The park brake must be adjusted any time the park brake cables have been replaced or disconnected, if the park brake shoes have been replaced or if under heavy foot pressure the pedal travel is less than half the pedal total travel. Before adjusting the park brake, check the condition of the service brakes. Refer to Brake Pad Inspection.
  1. Raise the vehicle and support the vehicle with safety stands. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  2. Remove the rear tires and wheels assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Wheels, Tires and Alignment.
  3. Remove the rear brake rotors. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear in Disc Brakes.
  4. Remove the park brake cable from the park brake lever.
  5. Adjust the shoe diameter using the adjuster nut.
  6. Turn the adjuster nut clockwise to increase the diameter of the brake shoe. Adjust the brake shoe till it just starts to drag when the brake rotor is installed.
  7. Connect the park brake cable to the park brake lever.
  8. Install the rear brake rotors. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear in Disc Brakes.
  9. Adjust the rear park brake cables, if necessary. Refer to Park Brake Cable Service/Adjustment in Park Brake.
  10. Install the rear tires and Wheels assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Wheels, Tires and Alignment.
  11. Remove the safety stands and lower the vehicle.
  12. Test drive to check for correct operation of park brakes.