2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need help with heated seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Beginning Member
alpinesubs is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with heated seat

Hey guys, just trying to sort out one of my numerous electrical issues.Truck is a 1998 Blazer LT with leather, full power seat. The drivers side heated seat doesn't work, passenger side works great. Heres my summary of what I've done/ checked...
  • I've replaced the switch on drivers side because it was cooked, I could see that the board was messed up so I bought a used OEM one off ebay.
  • All fuses are A-OK
  • New Switch lights up in high and low, but no heat.
  • Checked each wire - brown reads 12v, black has good ground, and pink gets about 10v (thought this was kinda weird but not sure)
Basically I'm thinking the heating elements are bad, but neither of them work. I figured that one of the two would work if that was the case. Should I be looking for a wiring problem under/ inside the seat? I've looked around quick and nothing seems funny, and BTW all of my other seat controls work.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 AM
spittybays

Sorry I don't have heated seats. I guess your saying that in the seat there are two heating elements? They cannot be controlled independently correct? If so you must have a short or broken wire somewhere in the seat before the split to the two elements. Would not expect both elements to be cooked unless the cooked door switch caused the initial problem and not the other way around.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Beginning Member
alpinesubs is on a distinguished road

SOLVED! - Here is my best explanation at what was wrong, and how I fixed it.

I started looking under the seat, following each wire and loom and could not find ANY signs of damage. As I was poking around I noticed it seemed like the lower half upholstery (correct term?) could come off fairly easy. I didn't take pictures of how it is held on to the metal frame of the seat, but it is best described as a black plastic piece that fits over the metal frame, and kind of clips on there. I took the one on the left and front of the seat off to remove the upholstery. A little persuasion and it comes off easy as cake.

After getting the upholstery loose enough to where I could flip it up, I immediately noticed my problem. It seems there are four wires related to heating. There are two of the smaller blue wires, and the big blue and green wires which must go to the switch. The bigger wires are twisted together with the smaller blue wires, and then a dab of hot glue is put on them. This is how they come from the factory, as far as I know. The green wire was severed from its blue wire.

A quick twist of the blue and green wire, and a drop of solder on them and I now have a nice heated seat! To finish it off I put a drop of hot glue on the twisted pair, and another drop to secure the wires to the upholstery. I then glued the piece of fabric that was covering the wires back on. Slipped the upholstery back in place and I'm done.

First pic is a wide view of the whole seat, second pic is the two wires that were broke apart, I had already twisted them back together in this picture. The third picture is a view of both wires, so you can kinda see what I'm talking about.
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps3fad922f.jpg
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps2245e687.jpg
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps373bf640.jpg

Old 09-24-2012, 06:52 AM
spittybays

Great thanks for coming back with the fix!