2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need help please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Beginning Member
deez283 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help please.

I have a battery drain that will leave me with a dead battery every morning unless I unhook it before bed. I noticed I could hear a slight sound under the hood when I was unhooking the battery the other night but could not pin point what it was..

So I pulled a fuse 1 at a time to see if it would stop and I found it pretty quick..

It's #11 CLSTR inside fuse panel..

Anybody know what that is? Vehicle is a 2001 Bravada.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dustin.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:38 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Powers the solenoids in your transmission and the shifter lock solenoid if you have the floor shifter.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by RonJon
Powers the solenoids in your transmission and the shifter lock solenoid if you have the floor shifter.

I have the floor shifter.

So is this a common problem? I'm kinda stuck at where to go from here...

Old 06-04-2010, 06:44 PM

It does connect to one more thing: PRND321 display in the dash. I don't have an easy answer either. I guess the first thing is to see if there's power to that fuse with the key off. If so part of your ignition switch is failed (likely) or two adjacent wires melted together in the harness (*possible* but....) Do you have a test light or voltmeter? If so check at the fuse with the key off - it should only have power when the key is in the RUN or START position.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Beginning Member

It does connect to one more thing: PRND321 display in the dash. I don't have an easy answer either. I guess the first thing is to see if there's power to that fuse with the key off. If so part of your ignition switch is failed (likely) or two adjacent wires melted together in the harness (*possible* but....) Do you have a test light or voltmeter? If so check at the fuse with the key off - it should only have power when the key is in the RUN or START position.

It does have power with the Key "off"

when I shut it down the odometer and red battery light stay lit as well..

PRND321 does not light up running or shut off.

when I put it in gear and start driving the doors lock but when I put it in park and shut it off the doors do not unlock you have to unlock manually.

Looks like someone has fooled around with the ignition the top column cover is missing and a yellow w/ red stripe wire has been cut but is still connected..

I just bought the rig about a week ago so hard telling what has been done.

I did order a new ignition lock and and switch harness that should be here tuesday.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 PM

Great. I was thinking after I posted "He knows the CLSTR fuse is the drain, does it have power with the key off? Ah' reckon it does." Just make sure you're just getting the switch, you do NOT need to replace the lock cylinder, just the electrical part. Also since you intend to tackle this yourself you may want to read this to see what tools you'll need. I haven't had to tackle this one yet.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Beginning Member

Great. I was thinking after I posted "He knows the CLSTR fuse is the drain, does it have power with the key off? Ah' reckon it does." Just make sure you're just getting the switch, you do NOT need to replace the lock cylinder, just the electrical part. Also since you intend to tackle this yourself you may want to read this to see what tools you'll need. I haven't had to tackle this one yet.

Right on I'll read that and hopefully all goes well. Should have the part Tuesday. I'll report back.

By the way thanks for your help.
Dustin.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:18 AM
Beginning Member

Well I installed the new ignition switch and the battery drain etc. is now gone..

It won't start now though...

Did the relearn and it went just as it said it would security light going off etc..

still no start. Turn over just fine and everything but It won't start.

Last edited by deez283; 06-09-2010 at 03:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-09-2010, 06:35 PM

Do it three times in a row. Turn the key on and try to start it - it should try to start and stall, leave the key in the on position. When the light goes out turn the key to the off position for 30 seconds. Try to start it again (won't start) then leave the key in the on position until the light goes off then...... It should start after going through the routine the third time. Also if the problem is the Passlock you should see that small "try".

Last edited by RonJon; 06-09-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Dan 128 is on a distinguished road

All I can say is wow, thank god for this forum. I picked up another steering colum for my 2000 Blazer from another 2000 Blazer (same model and options), someone has cut and spliced a few wire on my colume. Considering I'll more or less be switching out the ignition module, ect, ect. Am I going to have to perform this same task?

Quick Reply: Need help please.