2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need to pass E-check!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Beginning Member
Jakethegreat440 is on a distinguished road
Default Need to pass E-check!

Hey all, this might get a little long but I don't know how else to explain my problem unless I start from the beginning, This winter my rear break line burst, well I road on it for awhile until the weather cleared up and changed the line out about a month ago.. After I did this I noticed my gas gauge would bounce back and forth about an eight of a tank while idling, or while my turn signal was on it would bounce back and forth with the signal.. after talking about it with a couple people I started thinking I knocked a ground wire loose while running the break line back through. Well about a week ago my check engine light came on and the key got stuck in the ignition.. I'm not sure why it does this but it does it every week or so in the warm weather. I've been able to retrieve my key by unhooking the battery, setting the key to the run position and re-hooking the battery up. When I did this recently though something happened that never did before.. my speedometer bounced up to 100 and would only catch and come down once I got the car to 90ish miles and hour. Now My problem is the SES light went off like normal when I did this, but just a couple days ago I went in for a E-check and they told me the light wouldn't come on at all, When you turn the key the SES does no illuminate so I failed automatically. My question is, Could unhooking a ground wire cause this? and if so where is it? the truck is in fine running condition besides a rattle or two and I've been dumping money into it to keep it running top notch.. But I have no idea how to go about fixing this.. I have about 3 weeks before I need to be able to pass and i'm limited on funds.. any help would be a god send

Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Beginning Member
4.3l trouble is on a distinguished road

My SES light failed my emissions it was just a burnt out bulb pretty easy fix I'd start there.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Beginning Member
santmire is on a distinguished road
Default e check

i use to work at an e check in ohio before the shut the program done i might be able to give you some help with this subject like the person before me said check the bulb but if the light was on before that try tighting your gas cap and if that dont work check around the line you put in for a loose ground or if you replace the bulb and still have a ses light and have done the gas cap take it to a parts store that hooks up to your car and can tell you what is wrong and then fix just that because on 1996 and newer cars the ses light was emissions related

Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Beginning Member

Well, they said the gas cap was holding enough pressure.. and I doubted it was the SES light itself because it worked.. I unhooked the battery, and it never came back on, I just figured I might be able to smack the dash and get it to flicker or something if it was the bulb. or that it wouldn't go out 'instantly'.. I'm leaning twards the ground wire. I just don't see how it's could cause the light to not come on and the truck to run perfectly fine. When I took it to auto zone they could not scan it because there was no light, but at the Echeck they said there was still a P0030 code for a EVAP leak in the OBD, I'm thinking that is the neck for my gas.. I just don't know how I could have made a bulb burn out by resetting it, I'm almost certain me unplugging the battery and this are connected. If I did unhook a ground, that would cause the OBD to not work, wouldn't that have started the day I changed the lines? and not a couple weeks later when I unhooked the battery? Thanks for the help guys, cuz I definitely don't have the money to take this into a shop right now and theres no way I'm getting rid of it

Old 06-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Beginning Member

Does anyone know of some probable ground wires and there locations I could check out? I don't know where the ground wires on this are at and I don't wanna have to search the under carriage