Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Need daytime running lights to pass inspection, they do not work

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 05:15 PM
brodieman is on a distinguished road
Default Need daytime running lights to pass inspection, they do not work

Hey all,

I have a 4dr 2000 blazer lt 4x4 I bought it at auction and the daytime running lamps do not come on. The daytime running lamps are required here to pass a mandatory inspection.
Also the front DS highbeam does not come on.
So far I have replaced the multifunction switch & highbeam bulb to no avail. Also I have replaced the DRL relay with no effect.
I checked the park brake, it is off. The headlight switch is set to off. Checked every fuse, no help there.

Any suggestions, frequent wire wear points, stuff like that. This is a nightmare, I already have done a full front end rebuild and now the stupid headlights are failing it ! AAAArgh !

Old 06-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Unbolt the underhood fuse panel out and check the bus bars on the under side. Look close for cracks or burnmarks on the bus bars.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 AM
brodieman is on a distinguished road
Default Fixed IT

I after pulling my hair out for hours I found a schematic for the lighting system on blazer forum.
Turns out there is a white wire that goes from the body control module to the light switch. The body control module was not outputting the signal to turn on the lights when the ignition was on. I disconnected the wire at the BCM and connected it to a keyed 12V source. This disabled the flash to pass switch and the parking brake DRL lockout. But the DRL work flawlessly. So I passed inspection.

As for the DS high beam lamp. It gets power from the DRL relay, oddly enough. Someone had installed the wrong relay. It had a 4 pin relay in it. I replaced it with a 5 pin relay (same as fuel pump relay) and now it works.

thanks everybody.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

There are actually 3 white wires at the BCM that all have to do with lighting. The fuel pump relay only has 4 pins, the DRL relay has 5 pins. Both right side headlamps and the left low beam get power from the headlamp relay. And yes, the left high beam gets power from the DRL relay. The flash to pass feature switches ground through the headlamp grounding relay to control the lamps. There are several things that control the headlamps: autolamp, headlamp switch, flash to pass, DRL's, and the ambient light sensor, so the circuitry has to be more complicated. Let me know if you want to troubleshoot the rest of it. Been there and done that