2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Never really heard of this problem before...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:27 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about
Default Never really heard of this problem before...

So the 01 fixer upper that im working on just started acting up again and ive never heard of what its doing.

So.. When i start it cold and put it in gear and touch the gas it wont respond for a second then it will all of a sudden jump and sometimes the RPM's will drop and it will almost die before it jumps. But after it does it once it wont do it again. Sometimes at idle the RPM's drop real low for a second like its gunna die but it doesnt.

This all started happening after my friends dad was helping me flush the coolant (hes one of those people that thinks his way is the only way to do things) and to get it warm and start sucking coolant into the radiator he kept bouncing the RPM's off the red line and holding it fairly high (probably 3500) till i told him that i would handle it myself. Then it started acting up while it was idling, RPMs were dropping and it would almost die for a couple minutes then it was fine. But then this problem showed up.

So my guess is the TPS.. Any thoughts?

Old 05-24-2012, 01:01 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

I would double check the all the sensors/wires to make sure nothing is loose. Then do a fuel pressure test.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:53 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Oh the fuel pressure better still be good... i just replaced the spider last week and tested it and it was fine. But i dont think fuel pressure would have anything to do with the not responding when i touch the gas (after its already running). Im planning on cleaning the IAC and the TPS today to see if that helps anything

Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM

Might as well clean the MAF while you are at it, though I'm not sure if there is anything to clean on the TPS. Be sure to use sensor safe cleaner lol. You can also check the dist. Cap and rotor to make sure its not arching. If all else fails I would still check the fuel pressure lol.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:56 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine does that when it's EGR valve plugs up..a regular task always cleaning it fo rme, i don't think that mesh screen they sell would do any good but just plug up there instead,maybe i'm wrong,but i haven't been convinced yet..

Last edited by blzR; 05-24-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 PM

+1, forgot about the egr lol. At least the screen is easier to clean.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 PM

It threw the P0171 and P0174 code today (bank one and two too lean) So now i have to go find why its too lean. It does its stumbling problem warm and cold now so that makes me think its not the MAF. I looked at the MAF and it was pretty clean but ill clean it any way. I dont remember if the EGR will cause a lean code but im sure it needs to be cleaned. Next idea would be the O2 sensor.

Oh and blzR does yours throw a code when it does it by any chance?

Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Have you tried disconnecting the battery & resetting the computer. Doing the crap your friends dad did isn't very smart. Who knows what messages got sent to the sensors or computer if any. just a thought that I do when a problem pops up out of nowhere for no apparent reason except crazy thinking.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM

Well i just did some research and found out the lean code could come from a vac leak and if i have a vac leak i know exactly where its coming from, I couldnt get the spider to suck all the way up in the intake when i changed it, or well i didnt really try to get it to suck up into it lol but after learning that you were supposed to i now know its all the way up. So there might be some vacuum leaking through there. Ill go try to tug on it a little to see if i can get it to move. I just dont wanna break it.

Edit: Well ok i guess i was wrong. I unplugged the MAF and it stopped stumbling when i hit the gas. So ill drive it for a little bit with the MAF unplugged just to make sure.

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 05-24-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 AM
spittybays

Also +1 for blzR hard rev's throw crap to the egr

Quick Reply: Never really heard of this problem before...