2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New to Blazer: Coolant Leak Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Atticus is on a distinguished road
Default New to Blazer: Coolant Leak Help

So i've been doing my research i have just came into ownership of a 2000 Blazer 4.3.

I had it checked out by a local shop and they suggested Waterpump replacement due to a leak of coolant so i did that along with a Fuel pump replacement after the one that was in it went out after picking it up..
However now past 2 days temp has dropped below freezing and my temp gauge goes from a little below 210 up to about 230 for about a few min while driving and then goes down as heat is disburst through my vents..got out tonight to check i've noticed a sweet coolant smell the past few weeks sometimes when i get out of my car, anyhow i've noticed some what looks to be coolant on top around the crack of the Head i think i'd be more than happy to post a picture, i filled up my coolant..but i've noticed that a common deal with this issue is a intake gasket?
Can i get more clarification i've read that its suggested for a fix on a few threats but havn't ever seen a respond from the poster as to if it fixed..i wanted to make sure that this is what it could for sure be as its seems it is a common suggest for a fix rather than mistaken it for a headgasket

thanks

Old 12-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Temperature spikes usually indicate the system is low on coolant. Remove the radiator cap and make sure it's full when the engine is at operating temperature. If there's an air pocket trapped in the system, a few quick jabs on the throttle to 3000 RPM usually moves it along. Hold RPM at ~2500 and fill the radiator, then put the cap back on, then allow the engine to idle.

Leaking lower intake manifold gaskets is a very common problem on this engine. Most common for them to leak in the front and rear corners which makes it difficult to see where the leak is coming from: Alternator covers up the right front and the A/C compressor hides the left front. The rear corners require a mirror and a contortionist to spot the leak Sometimes leaks are visible along where the intake meets the cylinder heads. Adding UV dye to the coolant, pressurizing the system, and using a black light, makes spotting leaks much easier. Leaks stick out like a green florescent sore thumb!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Starting Member
USMC3782 is on a distinguished road

sounds like the intake mani. mine did the same. you will want to stay up on the coolant levels. sucks having no heat and a hot engine.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Atticus is on a distinguished road

thanks for all the advice.

Coolant level does stay pretty good now that i had my water pump replaced a few months ago but i did note that it was low with this problem occurring ;curious as to why or how if it did get an air pocket in the lines without any major openings in the system to cause that to happen.

Heat and AC work weird..this past summer i would have AC on it would blow ICE cold then you can here the fan speed drop and then it would blow out HOT hair..i took it to a shop had the AC system checked all good no leaks, compressor kicks in and everything..they said they think its a fan in the dash. -_- seems kinda weird to me..the controls work too i can't get it to circulate only direct air..This issue will be started in another thread when I Care as much..but if anyone has suggestions to that would like input.

Back to the intake Mani, How hard is it to replace these?? I figured not too hard. I'm a mechanically knowledgeable person when it comes to working on Cars/SUVs/Trucks..just first time dealing with a V6 Domestic Engine..

Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Go to youtube.com and search for Blazer Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement. A young guy had video'ed all the work involved to replace the gaskets. Not a step-by-step instructional video, but does show what all is involved.

If you check between the valve cover and the intake and see any coolant, time to replace the intake gaskets. This is not something you want to put-off as it is possible for coolant to get into the oil and this could wipe-out main or rod bearings.....requiring an engine rebuild.

I will be doing this little task next weekend when my gaskets arrive. The good thing for me is that it is not all that cold out in the garage like alot of people have to endure.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Beginning Member
99cbsuv is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did the intake manifold gasket replacement to my 99 Blazer this past week. If you are mechanically inclined it's not all that hard to do, just time consuming, 4-5 hours depending upon how hard it is to remove nuts and bolts and clean parts along the way.
I took my time, labeled all of the connectors and took some pics on my cell phone to help with reassembly. The parts were relatively cheap, cost me less than $100 to do the job myself. If you do tackle the job yourself, take your time, be sure to use a torque wrench to tighten to specs and don't skimp on after market gaskets, spend the extra few bucks so you don't have to do it again.
If you decide to have a shop do it, get several estimates. I first went around to 3 shops and got estimates from $625 - $487 before I decided to tackle the job myself. Be sure to flush your coolant and do an oil change when done to remove any crap that may have fallen inside your passages when you were scraping off any of the old gasket material during replacement.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Beginning Member
m0perale is on a distinguished road

I just did mine, too. It's pretty time consuming for a weekend warrior like myself, but got it done. While you have everything off, look to see if anything else needs replacing (for example, I did the fuel pressure regulator, plugs, cap, rotor, valve cover gaskets, etc.) There are good guides here and elsewhere on the internet.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:11 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

there is a how to floating around here on it.
like they said ...not terrible job just a P.I.T.A to do, however, having that money in your pocket is worth it.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

As mentioned, don't skimp on the gasket set, Felpro MS98002T is the ONLY way to go. If you clean everything up real well, follow the directions, tightening sequences & torque specs, it will not leak, (like the cheezy OEM gaskets).

Old 12-27-2012, 06:14 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

My gaskets will be here on Saturday, so time for me to get busy.

Where can I find the intake manifold bolt tightening sequence and torque values?

Quick Reply: New to Blazer: Coolant Leak Help