2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New guy - Brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Lckyctch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, this is a great forum. I have a similar problem with my 2002 LS. Checked with Chevy, it was not covered under the recall. When I wiggle the hazard switch I can get the lower brake lights to work. As a first step, I was planning to change out the hazard switch per the Tech Article, ie, pull from the top. Can someone tell me, for a 2002, is it certain that the switch part number is 15174447 or do I first need to dissassemble the column and check the bar code, negating the advantage of pulling out the switch from the top? I guess from reading various posts this could also be due to the multifunction switch, correct? Thanks for any help on this.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:03 PM
jack.sprat is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by edcon83
My buddy picked up a 98 Blazer today. When we checked it out, we forgot to check the lights. After we left with the truck, I noticed only his 3rd brake light was working. We tried bulbs and they still didn't work. We checked the fuses, they were good. We checked for power at the light sockets, no power. We replaced the brake light switch, didn't fix it. We're not really sure where to go from here. The turn signals, and parking lights all work as they should. Any helpful info would be great!! Thanks.
Have you found an answer? I have/had the same problem (95 Blazer S10). I did everything you did except that after I did all that I was told it was my multifunction switch. The same switch inside the steering wheel which controls your blinkers and your hazard, etc.

Good luck trying to find a used one.

Chevy charged me $420 for a new one and I put it in and guess what?...

Still no brake lights. I am at my wits friggin end here so ANY ideas would be more than helpful.

TIA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
OK...it could happen to anyone. I went through and changed EVERYTHING that I thought it could be and still no brake lights. I feel so stupid. To sum it up, I had a broken wire off of the plug-in to the brake switch (pedal). It looked as though it was cut i.e. clean slice. My summation is that it got pinched somehow and cut it right off.

So I'd suggest before any of you start forking out this kind of money you might check your plug-ins first.

Thanks to everyone

Last edited by jack.sprat; 10-27-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: ADDENDUM
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 PM
zx2guy is on a distinguished road

Helping someone with a 01 blazer same issue. 3rd brake light works, rear sides do not, but all other functions work. Hazards, turns, running. Have reaplaced the multifunction switch and brake switch. Looked in relay section for CHMSL, oddly even though the cover's diagram has a CHMSL pictured in the area it would go there is no plugin for it, and all other relay slots match with others, like fogs and horn. I have been tracking the wires, but once they return from the brake switch to the main harness I am not sure where they go. If someone has any ideas or a detailed wiring diagram for this it would be appreciated.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Diagrams:

Attached Thumbnails New guy - Brake light issue-00_exterior_lighting_1of3.gif   New guy - Brake light issue-00_exterior_lighting_2of3.gif   New guy - Brake light issue-00_exterior_lighting_3of3.gif