2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New ignition switch and still no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Beginning Member
slagburger is on a distinguished road
Unhappy New ignition switch and still no start

Hi can anyone help me ,,,,I have just followed a great thread with the procedure on the ignition replacement.... I followed it to the T but after putting everything together , I turned the key and it went to start but I think I turned it off and now wont crank at all.. I always noticed when it didnt crank previously the park P would be lit very faintly in blue....We had the same situation as most on here, where sometimes you can turn the key for 45 minutes and nothing but then suddenly it would start..dont know if anyone else has had this prob or if anyone can help me reset the passlock relearn procedure....

Old 02-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Beginning Member
ihatefordz is on a distinguished road

tuned in. im going through the same thing as you man.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:29 AM
bigcountry58 is on a distinguished road

Just a shot in the dark, but it could be your adjustment on your shifter linkage... If it is not correct it will trip the sensor like you are not in park.

Have you tried to shift to neutral? I know of other gm's that have had this problem, not sure about blazers and mine is a manual.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Beginning Member

got mine working. I must have sparked something replacing my ign switch and it popped my ign c fuse. check all your fuses under the hood.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, put into nuetral and nothing,,,looked at fuses, all ok, no security light flashing either....wondering whether to put old ignition switch back and start again....does anyone think the relearn should be done and if so is there a link for this procedure???

Thanks guys in advance for any info!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by slagburger
Ok, put into nuetral and nothing,,,looked at fuses, all ok, no security light flashing either....wondering whether to put old ignition switch back and start again....does anyone think the relearn should be done and if so is there a link for this procedure???

Thanks guys in advance for any info!!!
the relearn procedure is in the forums here some where. what happens when you turn the key foward? if the security light turns on then you need to do the relearn. If no security light means most likely the car is ok with the new igniton switch and your problem lies elsewhere. remember the fuse block under your hood contains ign a, b, and c. ign c. is a really small fuse (forget what the type of fuse is called) toward the lower portion of the fuse box.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the link to the passlock relearn straight out of the Tech Article (DIY) Index post (lots of other goodies in there too):
PASSLOCK - Reprogramming Auto Learn

Passlock activating would not prohibit the starter from turning the engine over, it would simply cut the injector pulse 3-5 seconds after the engine started.

So lets go back to basics here. Do all of the key positions work as they are supposed to? AUX turn on the radio... RUN allow for windows, radio, wipers... If not, then you could have the ignition switch indexed wrong when you installed it into the column.

When you turn the key to the 'start' position, are you getting power to the small post on the starter solenoid (attached to starter)? If not, then you need to move closer to the ignition switch.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Beginning Member
Angry

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Here is the link to the passlock relearn straight out of the Tech Article (DIY) Index post (lots of other goodies in there too):
PASSLOCK - Reprogramming Auto Learn

Passlock activating would not prohibit the starter from turning the engine over, it would simply cut the injector pulse 3-5 seconds after the engine started.

So lets go back to basics here. Do all of the key positions work as they are supposed to? AUX turn on the radio... RUN allow for windows, radio, wipers... If not, then you could have the ignition switch indexed wrong when you installed it into the column.

When you turn the key to the 'start' position, are you getting power to the small post on the starter solenoid (attached to starter)? If not, then you need to move closer to the ignition switch.
Ok, so this morning I decided to let the battle commence again...re-attached battery, swapped some ignition fuses around under the hood, got in an the car started,,,,yeah!!! Took it for a spin to recharge the battery ect...got it back on the drive, parked it and turned it off....waited 10 seconds and tried to restart and NOTHING......I have no security lights flashing although before I did have after several failed attempts.....Does this mean that the replaced switch can be returned and I should be looking at something else???
I am going to clean the terminal up on the starter motor, but I am going to confess that I am no good with testing electrics....... Any more help would be good.....Also the key does make the radio work on the first click and windows on the second.....

ok, after having a cup of coffee got myself ready to change out the switch for the old one again, tried the key again and it started ....turned it off and agin NOTHING,,,,this time the security light is flashing........

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-12-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Beginning Member
walleye seeker is on a distinguished road

yu have to do the relearn procedure. if the security light is flashing . there is a 10 min procedure and a 30 min procedure . its in here some where look it up.

My ignition is bad so i just did the resistor bypass worked like a champ

Old 02-12-2012, 01:46 PM
spittybays

Don't want to send you on shadow chasing but there might be some crud up on the main connector block. The one that bolts to your ignition switich harness. I had a work don't work thing happen once with a new switch, unbolted the block, put some di-electric grease in rebolted. Right as rain since. Good luck!

Quick Reply: New ignition switch and still no start