2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New Member... Looking to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:04 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default New Member... Looking to Buy

Ok...

I joined here and have been looking around like hell to find a great deal on a blazer....

I am in central IL and it seems every blazer I find for sale has 100k++ miles on it..

I found a 1998 Red 4dr 4wd blazer with 115k on it...

Pros: Very clean both inside and outside (old man drove it)
Apparently every option except for leather and moon roof
Owner said it was overhauled and gone through at 105k miles (checking for receipts tomorrow)

Cons: unsure as there are many problems noted in the forums

Noticed there seem to be many cv problems, problems with lift kits, tire wear and then also issues as with any vehicle high mileage

I am just unsure as I wanted to get a blazer to help haul stuff back and forth from college as well as do a smaller lift and get a second set of times to do lighter off road stuff

I was reading on some articles complaining about the lack of power from the 4.3 while some people are reporting claims of 500+ horsepower capabilities from them...

On a side note, everyone has a nice a** blazer and there are a few with what I would call the perfect stance, guard, and lights....

To sum it up, I want a blazer, for both fun and regular driving, any advice on any topics concerning the 98 blazer 4dr would be GREATly appreciated..

Old 08-02-2009, 06:59 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

500 horsepower? and street legal? I doubt it...
Just buy the Blazer and let the ody$$ey begin... lol

Old 08-03-2009, 08:26 PM
BF Veteran

Ok, went and took it for the first test drive today...
Owner states
LT package minus the leather, but has the lt wheels and trim, but the ls badge....
Has 115k miles with all gaskets and the engine gone through at 100k, and he has the receipts, as well as the fuel pump being replaced recently...

The paint was good with a small bubbling along the third brake light, and some near the gas tank, but not too much....

The test drive went well, the brakes worked great, air worked, heat, etc.... but while driving down the road I heard a slight "whoop" sound from the rear of the vehicle... it was VERY faint and My mother heard it first (went with my mom YAY! lol) but the owner told me it could be a wet bushing from rain...???

Next.. the price is set at 3995

I did not check the 4wd but will check if I call him back....
It has the towing package with a factory reese hitch? is that legit?

I really dont know about any of this and just need some input... the interior was almost spotless with only dirt being in the rear....

Also... surface rust in the frame and on the hitch and etc under the vehicle... how much is that going to cost to replace?

I am just interested in getting some input and tomorrow I will call him back, and is there anything else to check?>?

And before I forget, the air bag light comes on... he said its a loose sensor and does it intermittently.... and randomly

Sorry for the long posts... I just want a blazer... and this thin is amazing...

Getting the vin and carfaxing (anyone got free ones left?) tomorrow as well as checking insurance... full coverage for a 21yr old college student with 0 tickets/0 violations and never been stopped *knock on wood*

Thanks

Also.. if anyone has a 98 blazer 4dr with various options I would like to look through your albums but I can not search albums....

Thanks

Old 08-03-2009, 11:03 PM
BF Veteran

bump for help!!!

Old 08-04-2009, 11:44 AM
BF Veteran

anyone care to lend advice?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Big Keith is on a distinguished road

OK 98 with 115K is not bad look up "how many miles you got" what do you mean "gaskets and the engine gone through" WHY?? or do you mean rebuild you need to find out what was done if it was rebuilt correctly & now has only 15k on it than get it as log as you maintain it your good for a long time. I would recommend you have mechanic go over it so you don't get ripped off. Good luck

Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 PM
BF Veteran

The gaskets were replaced because the old guy thought it was leaking oil, he also had a few hoses replaced, all work was done by a reputable shop in town. I got the insurance and stuff figured out... now its just getting my mechanic and my father to check it out as well.... I read through the how many miles you got and was amazed... hopefully I can pick this up... put a few mods on it... and drive it forever

Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Big Keith is on a distinguished road

Yeah the 4.3 is basically a 350 with 2 calendars cut off they are good for over 200K just maintain it & your good to go.As far as mods do the intake & exhaust you'll get more power & MPG I have a 98 ZR2 runs strong & sounds like a V8. good luck with it

Old 08-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Blazin NC is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the forum, good luck on the purchase... hopefully it will work out, sounds like the guy took care of it.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:44 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum. Good luck

Quick Reply: New Member... Looking to Buy