2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New starter, cranks but no fire!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Lilcheef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New starter, cranks but no fire!

Hey folks! I need a quick fix perhaps. This blazer has 148k miles now, and last night the starter finally bit it. It would hardly crank and make nasty noises. Now I have put a new starter in and there it cranks over perfectly. Only problem, NO FIRE! I don't hear the fuel pump! The starter is connected the same way the old starter was, and appears to work fine. Just no fuel! Is there a safety switch? I checked the relay behind the glove box and it is fine. Who knows a good test for this? The truck it sitting dead in the safway parking lot lol.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
Chris Threlkeld

Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 PM
JustBlaze! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New starter, cranks but no fire!

I know this is quite obvious but, is the truck sitting level and do you have enough gas in the tank? When I replaced my fuel pump, I put around 1 1/2 gals of gas in the tank and had it jacked up at an angle. It was at enough of an angle that the pump could not detect the fuel, so it did not turn on.

I would also check your fuel pressure and the connectors to the fuel pump and make sure they are in good and you are getting power to them. Could be something as simple as the connector getting loose. I believe the oil pump also has a safety feature that cuts off fuel in the absense or lack of oil but that kicks in a few seconds after the truck starts so that is probably not it.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:43 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

LiLCheef

When you turn the key to the on position, Do the Idiot lightslight uponyour dash cluster? (check Engine, Seat belts, security, etc. etc)If you don't hear the fuel pump whinning with the key on and the Idiot are not lit up in the dash cluster, I'm afraid it's going to be a bad Ignition wiring harness that youmust replace.
Post back here with your results...

Old 03-10-2007, 05:07 AM

Hey fellas, well still no luck. To Just Blaze, yse there is plenty of gas n the tank, and sitting in a flat parking lot hehe. So that isn;t the issue. There is no fuel pressure what so ever, whenver I turn on the key I get no pump what so ever ( I had a friend on the fuel rail testor deal while turning the ignition) I also checked the fuel pump connectors , they were all clean however I haven't tested them for voltage. I also read something about that oil pump safety but that will only kick in after like 5 seconds of the truck running below like 10 PSI or something, everyone said different numbers.

Dino55, yes I am getting all of my normal lights and such. I turn the key, and imediately the lights come on, the annoying a$$ seat belt buckle warning comes on, even the relay in the dash for the fuel pump clicks, but there just isn't any fuel pump action happening. I have also read in my resaerch about the ignition harness but seeing that everything EXCEPT the fuel pump works pretty much seals the deal on that. I mean the truck even rolls over, just like it should just doesn't have fuel to power the beast.

I am still very puzzled by this I am fearing that it is indeed the pump gone out on a freak accident or something. This poor beast gets run a lot, and due to recent cold has been idleing a lot so it may have caused it to die. I am going to take a volt meter to the harnesses all around tomorrow, probably will get it actually towed to the house too.

Any other ideas would be appreciated, luckily I have a vehicle to get around in until I get her fixed!

Thanks guys
Chris Threlkeld.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:26 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Did you check the fuse?

Is the pump plugged in?

Old 03-10-2007, 05:26 PM

Yes I did check the fuse, the relay and fuse are both perfectly fine. I even switched them out just to make sure. Everything is plugged in correctly, I'm not quite as dumb as I look . I double and triple checked the wiring to the starter and fuel pump and traced the relay wire and all that and it all is plugged in correctly. I'm dumbfounded!

Thanks!
Chris Threlkeld

Old 03-10-2007, 06:48 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Never meant to say you were dumb, lol, everyone forgets to plug stuff in at least once or twice in their life, no matter who they are, lol. (Man, how would you feel if you were working back in the old days, and were in charge of the electric chair?)

I'd suggest you test the voltage output at the pump connection as soon as you can, and hope that your pump is still good.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:24 PM

Lol I know what ya mean no worries, no offense taken. I was too busy to get to it today but I am going to take a voltage meter to it tomorrow to see if my pump is getting power. I am probably gonna have it towed out of the safeway parking lot tomorrow too haha.

Thanks guy!
Chris Threlkeld

Old 03-10-2007, 10:40 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey a quick diag that very often works if it is in fact a bad pump......jack up the rear driver's side and have someone crank it over while you smack the bottom center of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet. Usually this will get it at least started if it's a bad fuel pump. That's how we usually get them into the shop.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:11 AM

Well after further testing, the fuel pump was definitely the culprit. It was deader than a door nail. I got it up in the air, kicked it a bunch and had my buddy on the key, it started ran for about 10 mins and died again. Once again, no fuel pump at all. Replaced that this weekend and she's purrin' quite nicely again. I have a question for you guys tho, does excessive idle kill these fuel pumps? I have realiazed this winter that the truck has idled a LOT and I have a feeling it might have over heated and died off. Is this possible? Thanks!

Quick Reply: New starter, cranks but no fire!