2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Newbie NEEDS help......

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Beginning Member
zynnad is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie NEEDS help......

Hey ya'll,

Name is Dan and I need some help with somethings. 1st of all I want to publicly say, "This is one hell of a site!! You people are AWESOME!!!!

I have a 2000, 4-door, 4X4 (4 button on dash), LS Blazer (s-10), with a 4.3 6-cyl, auto tranny, with A/C.

Problem #1: I have 4X4 trouble and I have search this site and have done a number of things but the questions I have is: How do you clean the connections on the control box? I have tried Contact cleaner and all that has done is **** me off. I am tempted to try Brasso and then clean it with Contact cleaner.......Any suggestions?

Problem #2: Which and where is the "4X4" Fuse?

Porblem #3: It all started with the familiar service light stating to service 4X4. Well I did a search and have checked, and lubed the vaacuum, and it moves freely. Since I had to remove the battery and it took more than 10 minutes it reset whatever it had to reset, the "Service 4X4" light is no longer on. I used to hear ticking coming out of the control box but not anymore. Looked at it and the connections were corroded, hence problem #1. There are no lights on the dash push button console, hence problem #2. Problem #3: where else should I turn to look?
Problem #4: How do I lube the transfer case where the vacuum line goes into? Is it possible to drill a hole and tap a grease fitting there?

Thanks in advance for all your help........

Dan

Old 11-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The fuse will be labeled ATC.

To really get the contacts clean, you will need to use a small wire brush. You will also have to remove each terminal from the connector and clean them individually. You can also tighten up the connections at this time by bending the terminal (where the pin slides in) a bit to make it tighter.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Beginning Member
zynnad is on a distinguished road
Default How??

Thanks for the advice but how do you remove the terminals from the connector without breaking anything? Is there a special tool or something?

Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there is a special tool required to remove the terminals from the connector. It is called a "terminal removal tool". It should be available at your local autoparts store or electronics store.