2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Newbie question: Wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:19 AM
Beginning Member
koreiryuu is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie question: Wheel bearings

I have a '01 Chevrolet 2WD Blazer.

I need to have the wheel bearing(s) changed. Local mechanic that I always go to says "both" are very bad, and wants to charge me $800 to do them both, which might be fair in business terms, but I looked at some YouTube videos and the job is simple enough. I am going to buy the parts from 1AAuto.com for less than $100.

Here's the thing: I don't know anything about these parts. I have four wheels, mechanic said "Both of them are bad." Does that mean there are only two (I'm assuming the two front wheels)? Did he mean 'both' the front and back wheel on that side (when I take a right, the loud humming stops, so it's the passenger side that I thought was the problem). Did he mean both sides were bad?

It seems 1AAuto.com will sell these parts in pairs for a reduced price, the front and rear assemblies look completely different. Would the rear wheel bearings make the telltale loud hum?

Old 10-16-2014, 10:58 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

From my experience:
right turn and noise stops would indicate that left side is bad as the load goes to the outside wheel in a turn.
Usually a mech will want to replace both bearings on the same axle; both fronts or both rear.

Bad front or rear bearings could make the telltale loud hum.

To find out which: jack-up front of Blazer and turn each front wheel by hand and listen. May require removal of tire/wheel and brake caliper depending upon just how bad the bearing is in order to hear.

If not front, then either assume rear or jack-up rear and try the samething.

Good luck.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Beginning Member

When you turn, the load does go on the outside side. So a right turn puts all the load on driver's side. Since the hum goes away, it's assumed the bad bearings are on the passenger since the load is reduced.

I'm guessing he meant both front tires then, but I'll test all four as you suggested. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:12 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by koreiryuu
I have a '01 Chevrolet 2WD Blazer.

I need to have the wheel bearing(s) changed. Local mechanic that I always go to says "both" are very bad, and wants to charge me $800 to do them both, which might be fair in business terms, but I looked at some YouTube videos and the job is simple enough. I am going to buy the parts from 1AAuto.com for less than $100.

Here's the thing: I don't know anything about these parts. I have four wheels, mechanic said "Both of them are bad." Does that mean there are only two (I'm assuming the two front wheels)? Did he mean 'both' the front and back wheel on that side (when I take a right, the loud humming stops, so it's the passenger side that I thought was the problem). Did he mean both sides were bad?

It seems 1AAuto.com will sell these parts in pairs for a reduced price, the front and rear assemblies look completely different. Would the rear wheel bearings make the telltale loud hum?
If your smart, u will buy moogs!!!! Do it once and be done!!btw, they are simple as hell....take an hr each side...there is no sense in paying the mechanic $500 for labor

Old 10-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Starting Member
chcknugget is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 07nhbpsi
If your smart, u will buy moogs!!!!
Agreed, don't buy the cheap bearings unless you are planning on selling the car... 2 for less than $100 qualifies as cheap. The lower quality bearings are not designed to last and I've seen them with stamped ABS reluctors instead of solid.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:01 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by chcknugget
Agreed, don't buy the cheap bearings unless you are planning on selling the car... 2 for less than $100 qualifies as cheap. The lower quality bearings are not designed to last and I've seen them with stamped ABS reluctors instead of solid.
I suppose I can afford $300 instead of $99 if Moogs is really as durable as you guys suggest. I'd still be saving $500.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:50 AM

Wonder why the 2wd front bearing/hub assemblies are more than the fronts for 4wd Blazers?
I purchased Timken hub/bearings for my '02 4wd which were about $100 each from Rock Auto. In fact I orderd them early, early on Friday morning and they arrived the next day!....and I did not pay for fast shipping.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:44 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Wonder why the 2wd front bearing/hub assemblies are more than the fronts for 4wd Blazers?
I purchased Timken hub/bearings for my '02 4wd which were about $100 each from Rock Auto. In fact I orderd them early, early on Friday morning and they arrived the next day!....and I did not pay for fast shipping.
Maybe it's not the difference between 2WD and 4WD but the difference between brands.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:19 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Advance Auto Parts now has a promo on front Moog Hub Bearings and the 2WD are $155.99 each and 4WD are $140.99 each. The brand is not the issue in this instance. Yes, any 4WD parts is generally more expensive.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:33 PM

I checked RockAuto prices on 2wd and 4wd bearings, same brands for each and once again, the 2wd on more than the 4wd bearings.

Just odd to me as like jim stated above, 4wd parts are usually more costly.

Anyways I agree with staying away from the cheap bearings....just not worth having to do this job again in a short time.

Quick Reply: Newbie question: Wheel bearings