2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No brake lights!! help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Beginning Member
Trede is on a distinguished road
Default No brake lights!! help

Hi, I have a 95 blazer 4x4
I noticed the brake lights are not working, all other lights are working and the third brake light over the back window works, just not the 2 on back
the only other thing I see is the hazzard lights are not working either and the switch seems to be broke, any ideas???

Last edited by Trede; 11-22-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do your turn signals work? If not, then it is very likely that the hazard switch has failed inside the multifunction switch.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Beginning Member

yes, the turn signals are working

Old 11-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is an odd one then. The turn signals use the same bulb/filament as the brake lights... The fact that the CHMSL (center high mount stop lamp) is working says that the brake switch is functioning properly.

Try messing with the hazard switch. See if your hazards work as they should. Rapidly turn on the hazards a number of times then see if your brake lights function.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Beginning Member

hi, thank you for all this info, I tried messing around with the hazard switch, it is broke right off the truck, looks like it has been glued on before, I just got this truck so I am still finding out things lol
the hazards come on now but still no brake lights, but everything else is working, could it be possible that both lights burned out?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:34 AM
Administrator

As I said, the brake lights use the same bulb & filament as the turn signals so there is something prohibiting the signal from getting back to the tail lights. It is either the supply wire from the brake switch to the multifunction switch (which also goes over to the CHMSL relay) or the multifunction switch. Now since the wiring splits at the brake switch, it could still be the wire from the brake switch to the multifunction switch.

Sounds like you need to get into your column and do some testing.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:54 AM
mrock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It is the hazard switch

I had this same problem with mine. The switch is the complete turn signal hazard switch assembly. You will have to get into the steering column, It's not much of a do it yourself project. Most likely you will need to replace that switch.

Last edited by mrock; 11-24-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:19 PM
cjh
Beginning Member
cjh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re:tail light problems

I had the same problem.
No Brake lights.
What I did for the cheap fix...
Remove the plastic shroud around the steering colum (Upper/lower)
Back your truck up close to a wall (so you can see when the brake lights come on, looking into your mirrors)
,or have someone watch the brake lights.
With your foot on the brakes,depress the hazzard switch slowly,your brake lights will eventually come on.
Now the cheap fix...
Once I found the "sweet spot", I screwed in a drywall screw in one corner from the top of the hazzard switch hole, down to where the screw would bite into the bottom of the hole and the side of the switch,in such a way that would hold the hazzard switch in place.
The only draw back is that you will not have hazzard lights anymore.

It has worked for months...so far

The correct way to fix is to purchase a new turn signal assembly,once i got my $220.00
quote....I decided on the cheap fix...
Good Luck !!!

Old 11-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Beginning Member
Rathbone is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cjh
I had the same problem.
No Brake lights.
What I did for the cheap fix...
Remove the plastic shroud around the steering colum (Upper/lower)
Back your truck up close to a wall (so you can see when the brake lights come on, looking into your mirrors)
,or have someone watch the brake lights.
With your foot on the brakes,depress the hazzard switch slowly,your brake lights will eventually come on.
Now the cheap fix...
Once I found the "sweet spot", I screwed in a drywall screw in one corner from the top of the hazzard switch hole, down to where the screw would bite into the bottom of the hole and the side of the switch,in such a way that would hold the hazzard switch in place.
The only draw back is that you will not have hazzard lights anymore.

It has worked for months...so far

The correct way to fix is to purchase a new turn signal assembly,once i got my $220.00
quote....I decided on the cheap fix...
Good Luck !!!
I've had pretty good luck finding parts at the local junk yards. This sort of stuff usually costs next to nothing.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:06 PM
cjh
Beginning Member
cjh is an unknown quantity at this point

My local junk yard(s) seem to attach a lot of sentimental value to everything.
The $220,00 quote was for a new switch, the junker wanted $200.00 with no
warranty.I remember him saying "That's a $200.00 dollar switch"
I told him that "I hope he enjoys it"

Quick Reply: No brake lights!! help