2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No brake lights!! help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 05:48 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjh
My local junk yard(s) seem to attach a lot of sentimental value to everything.
The $220,00 quote was for a new switch, the junker wanted $200.00 with no
warranty.I remember him saying "That's a $200.00 dollar switch"
I told him that "I hope he enjoys it"

Gotta love my yard. $19.00 for a turn signal switch.

The only thing my yard really likes to hoard are the cat converters, and mass air flow sensors. They rip them off prior to the vehicle going out to the yard.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

$220 for a multifunction switch from a junkyard?? What are they smoking?

You can get an AC Delco switch for $220-$250 depending on options. Aftermarket alternatives are obviously cheaper.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Beginning Member
Trede is on a distinguished road

can I just get a new hazard switch and put it in to make it work?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Barnyard is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Trede
can I just get a new hazard switch and put it in to make it work?
Im wondering the same thing. My brakelights wont work, everything else does, just swapped out the brakelight switch and no brakelights. I noticed my brakelights stopped working after I used my hazards one day so now I wonder if I replace the hazard switch if they will work again.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a new hazard switch is what most people try first since it is under $20 as opposed to the over $100 for a new multifunction switch. It's worth a shot.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 PM

I replaced the hazard switch, ($15 amazon) easy swap. Still no brake lights. Hazards, turn signals, parking lights all work. (no chmsl, not sure if it's related, I think the chmsl fixture may be broken). Not sure where to go next. All advice is appreciated.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Get the wiring diag for your truck. Do you have cruise? Does it work and disengage with brake.
CHMSL does not go through turn sig switch, turn/brake lights do.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:53 PM

@Pettyfog I do have Cruise and it does work & turns off when I apply the brakes. I dont have a wiring diagram for the blazer and am still without brakelights. Not sure what to try next aside from taking it to an electrical mechanic (last thing I want to do). Hazards work, blinkers work, chmsl isnt getting electricity when brakes are applied (checked with test light) and brakelights dont work.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM

Finally figured it out last night after taking the brakelight switch off. The white ground wire has fallen out of the brakelight switch connector. I was unable to reconnect it last night due to time constraints as well as its a P.I.T.A. getting under the dash. I tried to solder it back into that small connector but it wouldnt take. Ended up putting everything back together without the ground connected. Im about 99% sure thats why my brakelights arent working. Here is a photo of the connector with the white ground wire disconnected.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Starting Member
Muskie Boy is on a distinguished road

I have a 97 Blazer that had this problem. As stated these was a recall on the 2000 model. In parts directories the 97 only gives you the turn signal assembly. I put in 2000 and got a Dorman #924-608 from the store for $15 plus a small tube of dialectric grease and was out the door for a little over 17. The part worked fine in my 97. GM has a part number 15174447. But the guy at the dealer argued with me that it did not exist for my year. He swore the only thing he could sell me was a $400 turn signal assembly! That's before I figured out to say I had a 2000 to get the switch alone.

FYI, According to the service procedure 'the horn may go off' while removing the old switch and installing the new one. Even after knowing this is it still scared the stuffing out of me when it happened!

Quick Reply: No brake lights!! help